Maybe we need a complete new section for OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Maybe we need a complete new section for OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:20 pm:

Maybe we need a complete new section for OT and/or photos of unrelated stuff. It could be below the Classified Section or somewhere else.

While OTs are interesting, I find it frustrating to navigate through all kind of stuff not related to the actual operation and/or maintenance, history and repair of the Model T.

At least I appreciate that the titles usually show OT so I can immediately by-pass them.

JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:30 pm:

Maybe it would be OK to have a separate section, but to me it's no big deal as long as everybody labels OT as OT. But even in an OT discussion, everyone should be civilized.

If any change is made to the forum, I hope it will be to let me edit my posts. Example: the other day I accidentally posted the same picture twice. It would have been nice to be able to correct that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:32 pm:

Lol, I wouldn't mind if we had an "ignore poster" button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:34 pm:

Hard to follow your reasoning Bailey; in the same post, you say you find it "frustrating" to "navigate" through unrelated "stuff", and you also say that you "appreciate that the titles usually show OT so I can immediately by-pass them".
Being able to "immediately by-pass them" does not seem to me like it should cause frustration. (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:38 pm:

I vote for an ignore poster button!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:42 pm:

Bailey, The database here is HUGH! Try using the search engine here or Google to query the database for what your interested in. You will be pleased with the results.

I too think an editing function would be nice but I have no heartburn with playing the ball where it lies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:50 pm:

With out the O-T's, at times there wouldn't be any thing posted to read, and I like it all!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:53 pm:

Is this an OT thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 03:01 pm:

Chris, I believe this is an OT of an OT. :_)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 03:39 pm:

It would be nice to be able to share other items of similar intrest here without bothering a few of the folks.
There is several old engine and tractor folks here and alot of the type work done in their restoration is the same as Model T's require so it is somewhat related.
This is a good group of folks.
I have tried other forums and such.Try finding this much info and brains anywhere else on the net and you will come up short.
I signed into Smokstak recently and even it has not got the same feel as this forum.There is alot more questions than answers there.

Try useing the Yahoo page for Planet Jr tractors.It is dry as a popcorn phart .No activity at all.

This forum will spoil you on ease of use and info avaliable at a mouse clic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 04:19 pm:

OT to me means move on to the next thread if you want. Myself however, I like the photos and other things. I have no problem with OT threads and I actually find this forum very interesting because of that.

I was thinking just this morning: IF the old timers got mad because of answering the same old questions, the administrators here could stop all posting activity and list alphabetically the link to every problem that has been encountered. Then there would be no need to ever type a reply to a problem. I hope I don't encounter someone who posts "Tired of answering the 1000th question about how to set a timer, I quit".

That said, I enjoy the forum as it stands.

A while back someone posted a picture of a T in axle deep mud in the middle of a town and a kid on the hood. Off topic or not, that photo is a great example of early America and I shared that photo with my friends. I would have never seen that if it was in a separate section.

My 2cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 04:21 pm:

Much ado over nothing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 04:30 pm:

I have looked at many other sites while doing special research. There is no other site as great as this one. Next, let me say that for the special consideration of others standpoint, I do very much like the "OT" in the title listing (even though I rarely pay much attention to it).
However. And I rarely see this mentioned in these discussions about breaking this forum into "other topic types" as other forums have done. Many, many, threads drift out and back into thread topic. "Old Photo" is often posted as such in the topic which is good, but "old Photos" are often added into other threads to illustrate an answer. "Old photo" threads often become historic information or repair discussions. OT (Of Topic or non T) threads often become very much T related. Many of us consider many others on this site to be personal friends, even if we have never met face to face. We want to hear how they are doing, especially if they have a new health issue or surgery. And very definitely, side trips into tractors or talking machines are T related, if not directly by drift, then by similarities in history and repair issues.
The truth is, there really is no way to separate all these things out into "specified topic areas" without losing too much of what makes this one of the best websites on the WWW.
As I said on the "Disclaimer" thread. I may have some issues with the showing of the disclaimer. But it may be necessary. I don't think it needs to change us, or how this site is run. I also hope it doesn't change much (even though some change is always unavoidable).
I, again, would like to take this opportunity to thank Chris Brancaccio for all he does for us. It is a lot more work than most of us understand. And it is work that many of us are not capable of doing. It is also a very difficult fence to straddle to keep most people happy. I may also request that major modifications be avoided if possible. Thank you Chris, for all you do! (BTW, Couplet back on the road yet?)
Drive carefully, and enjoy.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 04:37 pm:

O.K., I'll jump on board here, I want a separate forum for water pump discussions.

I can't believe this "disclaimer" discussion gets so much attention. Too bad none of you guys have Model T's to enjoy and fill your idle hours with.

Now, let's get to that water pump forum.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 07:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 07:46 pm:

I'm all tingly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:03 pm:

Not too long ago, there were suggestions to upgrade/change the layout of this website. And charge a subscription fee. I frequent a few other boards that use a bulletin board layout. One of the nicer features of them is that you can put people on your "ignore" list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:17 pm:

Being able to ignore posts of selected people would be quite convenient in my opinion. For everyone who disagrees with me, just eliminate them. That way, everyone agrees with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:45 pm:

No problem here with OT's. Some times I prefer 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:47 pm:

Steve, The anti water pump people will be gleeful when then see all those appendectomy's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:27 pm:

OT posts..... I treat them like a unwanted TV channel if I don't want to read them I simply keep moving on. With the TV if I don't want to watch I simply just keep moving on......
It's kinda nice to have control like that..... Lol. {;^B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:36 pm:

This has nothing to do with off topic or not. It has to do with treating other posters and their opinions with respect. And accepting that you (or me) are not the absolute authority on a subject.

Doesn't matter if it's politics, religion, water pumps or sex (looks like I've got a better chance with a water pump than any of the others :-)).

Anyway, this isn't about the subject, it's about the content of the post.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:46 pm:

Steve, if you welded all those water pumps together, imagine the size of the boat anchor you would have. As for the current state and layout of this forum, I like it. The OT's are enlightening and to each their own as to who's posts you are interested in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 11:48 pm:

Up with people!

(and Model Ts of course)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 12:07 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 12:45 am:

Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders-Auburn Al on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 01:31 am:

Yes, this a Model T forum...But...we are all human and life's stresses from time to time find their way onto these pages. I think OT threads should be accepted as long as respondents are responsible and civil as you would be with family around the supper table....this is a family....is it not? Just an observation from a five year newbe.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 05:26 am:

OT posts teach me about things i may not have heard of.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration