Transmission cover felt seal installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Transmission cover felt seal installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Rivard on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:09 pm:

Had a small crack in the aluminum transmission cover on my 15. Took it off and had it welded, bought a new gasket set and am really to put back together. Is there any trick or pitfalls I should be aware of before I start. I know this is an area that often developes leaks so any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:16 pm:

Click here:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/360887.html?1368140665

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Rivard on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 08:32 pm:

Thanks Royce. Good info
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung on Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 09:08 pm:

I use a modest amount of RVT on both sides of the felt. Be sure to leave a good bead where the pan, block and trans cover come together. It's never been difficult to get apart when necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 01:07 am:

Soak the felt with shellac before installation. It will seal the felt so it won't wick oil and seal it to the metal surfaces. No RTV needed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 03:24 pm:

Ditch the felt, it is a big wick for oil to leak from. lay a 1/4" bead of silicone on the block and a heavy bead in the three corners of block, pan, and hogshead. Once it cures peel away the extra that squirts out if you don't like the look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 03:46 pm:

I with Mike. I used a bead of the Right Stuff on my alum cover and no leaks. Hard to argue with that. I know others do it different but I see a lot of them leaking as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 09:33 pm:

I too quit using the hogshead felt years ago and only use a bead of "The Right Stuff" now. It works far better than anything else.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration