Modifying aluminum pistons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Modifying aluminum pistons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 02:50 pm:

I want to mill the tops of some T aluminum pistons for an experimental project. What do you think the minimum thickness of the piston top could be milled to and still be safe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 02:59 pm:

You can have pistons made in any shape and size, here are mine for the BBR Chris Egsgaard engine as made by Ross with the Miller Tubular Rods.

pistons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:22 pm:

Yeah Frank, you can get anythng if your name is on the Forbes 500, but some of us have to "poorboy" it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:34 pm:

Terry
Contact me off list and will give you the best consel I can
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:42 pm:

Terry, Ross made those slugs for me and left an inch and a half of meat on the top so we could mill them. They were actually not too expensive. I got a job mowing lawns and a paper rout for three months and paid for them. Here is a picture of the blanks before machining

ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:07 am:

Frank,

I made about $5 a pop mowing yards and $90 a month throwing papers, so they must have been in the $300-$400 range (not counting for inflation, of course).

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:09 am:

Les will give some good advice. You could also get a modern piston from the junk yard and check its thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 04:28 am:

When I worked turbo-normalizing Aircraft engines in the 1960's we burned holes in pistons when we ran too lean. The rule was that there were no turbos until we had full throttle. But in an airplane you can load the prop and hold R.P.M. where you want it usually 2650.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:19 am:

I know that the high compression aluminum pistons on the market can not be used with anything but stock heads. what I want to do is mill the tops of a set of hi-comp pistons to fit the combustion chamber of a Waukesha head. I am going to measure the thickness of an aftermarket aluminum piston and compare it to the thickness of the hi-comp piston to see if there is enough to mill. if not, I can always mill a little of the top of the combustion chamber in the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 11:40 am:

Terry
I will say 1/8" IF the area isn't too big and depending on where on the piston head it is located. I know not much use to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 11:18 am:

I have thought about what you are trying to accomplish. I would look at modifying the head to fit the pistons. Try for a clearance of about 1/16"assembled (if the piston just barely clears without a gasket you would be fine)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration