Bright dip for brass lite

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Bright dip for brass lite
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Kesselhon on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 03:52 pm:

Does anybody know where I can buy or make a solution to dip some tarnished brass lights in before I buff them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 03:58 pm:

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, yes seriously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 04:13 pm:

If you use Lysol, use it sparingly, and rinse quickly! Don't ask how I know! It should be wiped on, then off and rinsed ASAP. If you leave it on all the tin in the brass will be gone and you'll have copper coloured lights.Then the EXTRA buffing begins!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 04:52 pm:

Tom, we have been through this several times and there are threads to help identify several ways to remove tarnish. I got tired of polishing and decided to have the brass on my 13 polished and lacquered by a pro. It cost $400. but he did all the lights (5) and horn and the gas generator. On a good day getting ready for a tour I would spend 5 or 6 hours to get it ready. Now I look at the radiator and do a quick polish and I'm done. This will raise a lot of dialog about what is good and bad for brass but be that as it may, I'm done with polishing!!!!! By the way, he uses brass instrument lacquer that the claims will last for 20 years because of the way we take care of the cars and don't abuse the finishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 05:03 pm:

Lysol has been reformulated, it no longer contains lye. You will have to find another bowl cleaner with a lye based formulation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 05:15 pm:

I don't think Lysol disinfectant ever contained lye.

Also, Lysol disinfectant and Lysol toilet bowl cleaner are distinctly different products.

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, like most other brands, contains hydrochloric acid (hydrogen chloride). Toilet bowl cleaner can be used to remove tarnish from brass but it will leave a red/copper hue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Rivard on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:12 pm:

Just did some of my non-finish brass items on my 15. I.E gas tank sediment bulb and brass carb. I used Lysol toilet bowl cleaner. Layed it on with a small soft brush and then scrubbed it with a tooth brush. ( wear gloves and glasses) The parts looked like they had been painted black before I started but cleaned up in 10 minutes. There was some red/cooper hue left on the parts but I took 000 steel wool to them the next day and then finished with Brasso. The parts look great but I would think twice before I used this process on a $1200 radiator. Good for rough brass pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:35 pm:

Like was posted before. A very good cleaner that is made for brass is a product called Brite Boy. I buy it in a gallon jug from a janitor supply. I works very fast and easy. It doesn't give the most brilliant shine so I use what the Brass Works company uses on their radiators. Blue Magic cream that leaves a silicone film to prolong the really deep shine.

Mine lasts a long time especially when I keep the brass covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:21 am:

Looks like Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner still has some lye, sodium hydroxide, as well as bleach, sodium hypochlorite.

I was under the impression that the formula was changed and it no longer cleaned up brass like it used to. Maybe I was wrong as it still has a touch of lye.

application/pdfLysol Toilet Cleaner Product Safety Data Sheet
Lysol toilet cleaner MSDS.pdf (132.0 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:37 am:

It depends on which Lysol toilet bowl cleaner you purchase. Lysol with bleach contains lye. The main ingredient for regular Lysol toilet bowl cleaner is hydrochloric acid and it does not contain lye:

http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/LBD-Power-TBC-US-English.pdf

I've used "The Works" bowl cleaner from the dollar store for cleaning brass - it's main ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:42 am:

Some toilet cleaners use phosphoric acid. I don't know how well that cleans brass. The Works contains hydrogen chloride. I've read that it's good for this, but I haven't tried it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:49 am:

This is a cheap solution.... I am considering using this concoction for a brass carb. Its cheap enough to at least give it a try! http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_862007&feature=iv&src_vid= 99kGy8-bGXs&v=t8vJ7MiHAuI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:35 am:

It's hard to beat ketchup!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 08:49 am:

I use Lysol Max Coverage. Other Lysol toilet bowl cleaners do not work or do not work as well as this particular formula.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration