What is the best way to store a older 1910-12 cylinder head?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: What is the best way to store a older 1910-12 cylinder head?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 10:49 pm:

Is it not good to store them flat , A major Model T Engine rebuilder thought it is best to store them on end and oil or grease the under side to prevent rust.The head has been resurfaced and will be stored for awhile ,I am not ready to complete this engine.Any ideas why one storage position is better ? Thanks,Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 11:43 pm:

Coat the freshly machined surface with grease and store it a dry place. I would store it flat. I don't think you need to worry about the molecules shifting around and changing the flatness. Your applied stress is about zero.

In short, there is nothing to be concerned about, just don't forget where you put it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:30 am:

A much much better idea for storing that old head is as Ted Says, then gently place it in a cardboard box with plenty of padding, that way if bumped it wont hurt, the cardboard will absorb the moisture ..... oh yeah nearly forgot ..... then post it to me.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:23 am:

Dont bead blast or clean it up. Just use some type of grease to coat the machined area and then coat the whole head with oil or some type of grease.
If you dont coat it with something thats oil based you will be in for a big surprise when you take it out of storage after 2-3 years.
Clean it up nice before you intend to use it.

Humidity, dampness even inside a bldg. will do things to iron or steel thats been cleaned up and degreased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a dehumidifier in my shop bought it a few years ago, it sure helps in the humid summer months to keep every thing from rust and mold.The older low heads are scarce and was concerned about storing flat. I agree with the important part of preventing rust ,Thank You Model T Forum !
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 10:05 pm:

I have a problem similar to this. As a small manufacturer I have lots of things made from bare steel and iron that can rust while simply waiting for other mating parts to be finished up and then the whole assembly sent for powder coating. I found something many years ago that has worked just wonderful for me. The product is a tablet that is not a desiccant (something that absorbs moisture like silica gel) but in fact gives off a vapor that prevents rust in iron and other ferrous metals. It works best if the parts are sealed in a sandwich bag (for small parts) or a garbage bag for larger items. The product will work even in a somewhat non sealed box when the time is not more than a month or so. The product comes in aspirin size tablets and you simply drop one in the bag and close it up. I use it for anything bare steel. They are called "cor-tabs" which is for corrosion inhibiting tablets. It stops rust, corrosion and tarnish of ferrous and non-ferrous metals alone or in combination in confined areas. It vaporizes and coats metal surfaces with a thin molecular film protecting against corrosive environments including salt water. The only problem is that the smallest amount I think one can purchase is 600 tablets so perhaps you guys can get together and divide up a jar of them. I have used them for many years with success. Here is a link for more info. Keep the unused ones in a sealed container to store them.

cortabs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:44 am:

Give it a light spray coat of Dychem layout blue from a spray can. A full coat may add .0001 to the face so watch out for the judges with the pocket sized optical comparators! Actually, a piece of oily cardboard will be more than enough unless its stored in the salt water aquarium. troop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:09 am:

John,I tried your link,but no where could I find pricing for those tabs. I hate companies who make such secret products,they are either afraid or ashamed to tell us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:24 am:

Jack. I agree with you on that one. I posted that link last night in haste and just figured they would have a link as to "where to buy". There are tons of hardware makers (nuts, bolt, washers) that post ample stock and decent price but even though I go there to buy 10,000 pcs they then tell me they only sell to hardware distributors and there are none of theirs in my area. I now ask them "why do you have a web site then?" What is the point of having a web site if not to attract more customers. I flat out guarantee you that if you click even once on any Chinese source of anything - you will instantly be offered the product to buy or directed where to buy it and within a day you will receive an email from several of their distributors that they have passed the lead on to. They seem to understand capitalism better than we do. Let me see if I can dig up the location where I bought the product. It really does work great and I don't have to deal with greasy parts. The main reason I don't like to use lube to prevent rust on cast parts is that the grease gets into the castings and make it difficult to clean up to the point where you can then make paint stick where the item will be final painted. Cast iron is just very porous and the paint wants there to be clean metal under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:29 pm:

Jack:

I couldn't find the ct-25 tablets that I used but the same company makes a flat square of the same stuff and those I found on amazon.

Cortabs Amazon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration