Running after 8 years

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Running after 8 years
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Taylor Ward on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 06:59 am:

I just got my Fathers 1922 T running after 8 years of sitting in a garage. Cleaned gas tank and carb and she started right up.I did check oil and water! He had it wired positive ground for some reason. When I installed new battery I did positive ground. The amp meter discharged when horn blew so I left it that way. At first I heard the mags when I turned key to left but now I don't. She starts when key is turned to left better than to right. after starting it runs either way. Why can't I hear the mags singing anymore? My biggest mistake, not asking these questions when dad was alive! To busy... Thanks for any ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:29 am:

I would get a hold of Ron Patterson or Brent Mize and have the coils rebuilt. You will hear them sing then and the car will love you for it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:43 am:

I assume that you are saying that when you turn the key to "Bat" you don't hear the coils buzzing, but the car starts easier on "Bat" than "Mag." You won't hear the coils buzzing if the timer roller (or flap, etc) is not touching one of the timer contacts. This will happen depending on what position the motor stops and where the timer lever is at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:49 am:

Taylor:

Having the coils "buzz" when you first put the key to the left (Battery) position has to do with the position of the crankshaft when the motor last stopped spinning. If it stopped in a spot where the timer was making contact then you will hear a coil buzz when you turn on the key. If it didn't stop there but stopped between contacts then you won't. You referred to this sound as having the Mags singing but actually that is not what is happening. The coils "sing" (we call it buzz) when a coil is powered from the battery. It will not sing when that same coil is powered from the motors internal magneto. That is when you have the key to the right side on MAG. You normally start the car with the key in the BAT position and left spark lever all the way up. Once it starts you advance the timing by pulling the lever down and then you move the switch to the right (magneto) position. The coils will never buzz with the switch in the magneto position. We will not make any attempt to replace your father but welcome you to the hobby and hope you might find the same fun here that your dad had. We can help you get it going so feel free to ask questions here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Taylor Ward on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 08:35 am:

Thanks for the help. I understand better now. Our small town (conway NC) has turned 100 and we are having a parade next saturday in its honor. I also have a 31 model A Deluxe Roadster that we will be driving. My Mom is Grand Marshall! Yesterday when I drove mom around yard in T she was very proud. Great Mothers Day Gift!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration