Pop-up ads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Pop-up ads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 11:57 am:

Whenever I log on to this site now, I get noisy video pop-up ads that I can't close until they're finished. They have the little "X" in the corner but clicking on it doesn't close them or shut them up. Do any of you techies know how to delete the things as soon as they show up, or better yet, fix things so they're blocked? I need really specific instructions, Luddite that I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:12 pm:

Better run your antivirus and/or malware cleaning software Randall. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free antivirus program. It will identify and clean out anything that shouldn't be there but also run a malware check. You can usually download free malware cleaners to check yer computer and clean things out. You must have been hanging out in one of those naughty Chebby websites !!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 06:26 pm:

RV

Garnet's advice is spot on.

Another thing to try. Click on the little gear in the top right corner of i.e.

From the drop down menu select internet options,
then click the privacy tab.

Under pop up blocker click on settings and near the bottom under blocking level - change it to high.

good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 06:27 pm:

Its not always considered malware and an antivirus program might miss it or at least mine did. Do a google search for "adware" to learn how to block it.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Battell (south of Fond du Lac, Wis) on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 06:33 pm:

I agree with Garnet. Sounds like your computer has been infected. The ads are almost certainly NOT coming from the MTFCA site. A well-respected program for detecting and removing malware is MalwareBytes. I have been using it on many computers for years. Security Essentials (now built-in to Windows 8) can be used to scan your computer and also runs in the background to help prevent infections. MalwareBytes Free just scans for bugs (their paid version will run in the background). The free version can be downloaded at: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:03 pm:

Be careful loading "adware" blockers on your PC. Most of them are malware in their own right. Use the built-in features of your browser. IE8 and above have it. For IE, it's called InPrivate Filtering.

I concur with Garnet and John. Run your AV scanner and MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware). When installing MBAM, be sure to un-check the free trial option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:45 pm:

I'm not an expert on PCs but I think you can pull up a list of plug-ins on your computer and turn off/disable the one that is causing the pop-ups.

My parents' PC was experiencing the same problem and I disabled the plug-in that was causing the problem and was able to cure it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:49 pm:

Agree with John B - Malwarebytes is the leader in removing and preventing virus on your machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:53 pm:

Have you tried clicking on "Tools"? I have a turn off/turn on popup blocker option and settngs there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Battell (south of Fond du Lac, Wis) on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:12 am:

You can go to Tools and turn on the popup blocker, but you should still run Malwarebytes to get rid of malware on your computer. Malware can slow down your computer, track you, and steal your data. In Firefox the popup blocker settings are in Tools | Options | Content. I usually have my browser set to block popup windows, but for some sites you will either need to make an exception for that site, or temporarily turn off the popup blocker to get the site to work properly.
To help block sites from tracking my shopping, etc., for several months now I also use Do Not Track Me which runs in the background while using the browser. It is free at: http://abine.com/dntdetail.php For the MTFCA Forum, it shows "Clear skies! No tracking found here. Say thanks to mtfca.com!" But it also shows that it has blocked 67,971 attempts to track my internet activity.

YT logo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:03 am:

RV,

With all due respect to others sound advice above, you may have a 'nastie' that will cruise by apparently all 'anti' protection.

Let me ask this, did you try going back and forth between here and to the MTFCI 'beta' site? Did you use one of the blue text link clicks to get there or back to here? I'm not saying either site had a 'bug'...but by pure coincidence let's just say my office computer started to display certain word combinations as 'blue links' when I was going back and forth and whatever did it blew right past McAfee, Adware, and a host of other 'protection' that I have. I didn't see 'blue links' as an issue, and frankly thought it was part of the new 'beta' features on the other site. Then coming back here the same thing happened...certain word combines looked blue. I just figured it was life. HAH!

Then I got a pop-up that told me my Java was out of date and to click for an update. It looked like the real Oracle deal...yeah, right! Hijack special!

I used all of the scrubbers possible, dumped ALL 'cookies' and 'temp files' and after hours of work figured that I had slew the beast. Then today without clicking anything, "It's B-A-C-K!'

Unless you have done any system or new program installs/updates recently, the ultimate solution for me (so far) seems to be a 'system restore' to an earlier date on a Windows based machine. I rolled mine back to May 1, (all your newer data files and emails stay). All those blue text psuedo links? Now GONE so i think the dragon gave up.

Word to the wise...should you come across 'blue links' then 'hover' over a blue link first and watch the lower browser corner...see what address it shows. Doesn't sound right? It isn't and don't click it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:06 am:

RV,

With all due respect to others sound advice above, you may have a 'nastie' that will cruise by apparently all 'anti' protection.

Let me ask this, did you try going back and forth between here and to the MTFCI 'beta' site? Did you use one of the blue text link clicks to get there or back to here? I'm not saying either site had a 'bug'...but by pure coincidence let's just say my office computer started to display certain word combinations as 'blue links' when I was going back and forth and whatever did it blew right past McAfee, Adware, and a host of other 'protection' that I have. I didn't see 'blue links' as an issue, and frankly thought it was part of the new 'beta' features on the other site. Then coming back here the same thing happened...certain word combines looked blue. I just figured it was life. HAH!

Then I got a pop-up that told me my Java was out of date and to click for an update. It looked like the real Oracle deal...yeah, right! Hijack special!

I used all of the scrubbers possible, dumped ALL 'cookies' and 'temp files' and after hours of work figured that I had slew the beast. Then today without clicking anything, "It's B-A-C-K!'

Unless you have done any system or new program installs/updates recently, the ultimate solution for me (so far) seems to be a 'system restore' to an earlier date on a Windows based machine. I rolled mine back to May 1, (all your newer data files and emails stay). All those blue text psuedo links? Now GONE so i think the dragon gave up.

Word to the wise...should you come across 'blue links' then 'hover' over a blue link first and watch the lower browser corner...see what address it shows. Doesn't sound right? It isn't and don't click it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:10 am:

My fault on the double post...senior moment :-):-)

Oh, my....guess what guys? On an IE browser, my password just did an autofill after what? Over a year? Hmmmmmmm...Chris?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration