Yellowstone Trail trip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Yellowstone Trail trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Battell (south of Fond du Lac, Wis) on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 07:16 pm:

Last summer Mark Mowbray, the Executive Director of the Yellowstone Trail Association traveled the Trail from the west coast (Pugeot Sound) back to Wisconsin, and recorded his venture on a blog at http://yellowstonetrail.tumblr.com/

He has just today left to travel the Trail from Plymouth Rock on the east coast back to Wisconsin, and will be adding this trip to the blog.

The Yellowstone Trail was a transcontinental highway traveled by the Model T's and other early automobiles. More information about the Yellowstone Trail can be found at http://www.yellowstonetrail.org/

Yellowstone Trail pennant

Yellowstone Trail map

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, North Carolina on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:09 pm:

I have driven from Stevens Point, Wisconsin west as far as Ipswich, S.D. on the YT. Someday I hope to go further west.

This book on the trail is a Favorite of mine and is available on the YT web site. One of the three cars on the trip was 1912 Model T.

We Blazed The Trail: Motoring to Yellowstone in Mike Dowling’s Oakland by Dorothy Dowling Prichard as told to
Barry Prichard, Richards Publishing Co., 2008
This is the story of Michael Dowling, an amazing man who lost both of his lower legs, one arm, and most of his other
hand by amputation due to frostbite. Before you feel too sorry for him, be aware that his most famous quote is “Thank
God I’m not a cripple”. He put on his smile when he put on his artificial legs in the morning. He was a teacher, editor,
successful businessman, politician, and husband and father of three. He was also instrumental in the success of the
Yellowstone Trail’s early days as a tireless leader and promoter.
This family remembrance focuses mostly on the 1913 trip the Dowling family took from their home in Olivia, MN to Yellowstone
National Park, and the difficulties and joys they encountered. There was mud, dust, rain, breakdowns, flat tires, and driving where there
was no road at all! Mike cheerfully led his family and another small family group across prairies and mountains and “blazed the trail” of
what would soon become the first transcontinental route across the northern states…Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound.
www.yellowstonetrail.org/id

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Battell (south of Fond du Lac, Wis) on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 09:39 am:

Lance-
Thanks for the heads-up on the book. It sounds interesting, and I just ordered one.
Apparently the address for the book got truncated in your post. The address is: http://www.yellowstonetrail.org/id20.htm

Yellowstone Trail

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration