TT Ruckstell/Hall-Scott picked up today.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: TT Ruckstell/Hall-Scott picked up today.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:11 pm:

While on the lookout for better rear wheels for our TT truck I found a whole rearend set-up for a TT. Wheels are way better than what I've got, rims are toast or should I say swiss cheese.... When I hooked to the driveline to pull it out of the grass there was an extra rod?? Well what emerged was a Ruckstell equipped TT rear end, Bonus!! Housing says Hall-Scott, tag says Ruckstell serial No. T 5088. I would post a photo but my phone is giving me fits. It does have what I believe to be aftermarket perches for parallel leaf springs?? New one to me. I will post a photo of these later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:27 pm:

Please do post a picture of the after market "parallel" springs. It's a new thought for me, too. You have me curious.

Congrats on your "find"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:47 pm:

Could that have a form a truck frame? I though they could have the parallel springs. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:47 pm:

Ok, lets give this a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 09:48 pm:

Henry, It was in a Walnut Grove in Visalia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 10:21 pm:

Dang, Scott. Maybe I should pay more attention to the orchards around here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 10:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 11:26 pm:

I don't mean to be a pain Scott, but could you post a photo from a little farther out so we can see the whole assembly? Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 11:59 pm:

They are held in position by the original shackles. They fit the housing really well and fall into place really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:27 am:

Maybe your luck will continue and it will have high speed gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:39 am:

OK, I think I get it. That set-up would have leaf springs on each side. Was there a kit that included chassis extensions so there'd be something to fasten them to at the rear since the stock TT chassis didn't extend past the axle? I've never seen a set up like this in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:41 am:

I was thinking the same thing Ted. I tried to look in the back cover but couldn't break the nut loose on the worm shaft. Maybe Mon. after work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 10:49 pm:

There were truck extension kits. I have never seen a complete set up close. I had a rear end many years ago that had just about as much as you have there. It had the same attachment to the spring perches. I sold it many years ago along with some other TT parts I had and didn't need.
I also saw a drawing like from an ad of a TT with that setup on it. I think it was in the Vintage Ford about thirty years ago.
I would sure like to see a complete setup.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:26 pm:

I think I scored. It has the high speed gear set in it. I think the Ruckstell is an under-drive. So I think after I check what is actually in my TT chassis I may have a Muncie a Universal AND a Ruckstell. If for nothing else a conversation piece. Three levers on the floor....What The!!
I did notice a couple of the spokes are not in very good shape, so now I'll have that to worry about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:50 pm:

Scott the pinion will have 6 teeth on the high speed ratio and 4 teeth on the low speed. Good find and in my back yard. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 12:33 am:

One other thing, It's so nice and honey brown inside and the Hyatt's on the worm shaft look really good. Now if I could just get the Ruckstell lever to budge. Anybody have any good idea's on a way to hold this thing up to work on it? Engine stand???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 01:22 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 01:57 am:

Thanks for the photo John! I wonder if there are any still around. I was thinking more along the lines of when the housing is split. TT housings are HEAVY. Even if all my parts are good after inspection, I don't really want to put it back on the road without re-sealing the whole thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 10:16 am:

Does anyone have any extra TT brake shoes, I need a bunch of them danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 01:17 am:

John, I'll keep that in mind. Haven't had the wheels off this one yet but the chassis it's headed for had 4 good shoes in it. I'm thinking I should keep a pair around for spares?? While working today I was thinking about Fabricating shoes since these have a tendency to crumble. I'll have to re-think it when I can look at the backing plate. Any input out there??

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration