Set screw for steering cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Set screw for steering cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:22 am:

Does anyone know the size of the small set screw that goes into the top of the steering gear cover? I have a 1914 brass style but it's missing the screw and I understand that you need one in order to go on tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:05 am:

It is a #6,fine thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:09 am:

Without the screw you could have the steering wheel come off in your hands!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:23 am:

6-32 x 9/32" seems to be the most common size but some have reported other sizes.

More then you ever wanted to know about the steering gear cap retaining screw at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/255233.html

Note that allen set screws were not a part used on Model T's.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 11:27 am:

Unless that screw is tight in the existing hole, you may wish to tighten the cover, and redrill and tap a new hole. Be careful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B Joyce on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:29 pm:

The screws on the back of the switch are the same size John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:16 am:

You may wish to turn the head down a little, so it will resemble the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:20 pm:

Go to your local, friendly Ford dealer's parts department and ask for a new one, part # 3505.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:25 pm:

Original cover screw

And some detail on that important little round head single slot machine screw!

Ford Owner and Dealer magazine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:06 am:

Dan, good post!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:39 am:

Is it the same thread for a brass steering housing?
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 01:08 am:

David,
The Model T Encyclopedia shows the same screw for 09 to 27.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/255233.html

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilber Elliott on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:57 am:

Thanks for the info, guys, I picked one up at the local ACE hardware store today! It's a slotted set screw but it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 03:52 pm:

Having read all of this I'm still not sure what Ford used. Was it a 5-40, 6-40 or a 6-32? I got lucky with mine and the first size I tried out of the drawer fit like a glove. It is a 6-32 in stainless that mimics the nickel on the case pretty well.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 05:44 am:

They are still out there and you just need to find the right person who know's what the hell you are talking about.
Just so happens in this case it was Bec in Pakenham, 6/32 set screws about 10 mm or 3/8" long with an allen key ( very very small allen key ) grub screw, fitted right in - until l broke the top off of it, but l did buy two.-

Good luck

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 09:02 am:

I really got a chewing out recently on the one on my pickup. I tightened the cover with a strap wrench, and redrilled and tapped the hole for the new stainless 6-32 screw, which I modified to look like an original. The screw is now at 7 o'clock. My friend said the screw should be at 12 o'clock, and I said I know, but my was loose up there. He informed me that I have a NOS gearcase and cover, so why didn't I use it? I replied I didn't think it mattered. Oh well. At least it's tight, and it's doing the job it is supposed to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 11:57 am:

Larry,
Even though I think you can do anything with your car that you want, when I read that someone suggested that a new hole be drilled and tapped to eliminate any gear end play, I didn't see any need for it. Some end play in the steering wheel shaft or in the gears inside the steering gear box will have no adverse effects on the actual function of the car steering.

Looseness that will cause the car to wander left or right should be a concern but some end play in the gear box should be of no concern.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 01:47 am:

Mine is at 11 o'clock ?????, the runabout is about 5-30 .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration