Old Photo - Dust Bowl Okies In San Diego

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Old Photo - Dust Bowl Okies In San Diego
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 09:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Linsenbarth on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 11:02 am:

Just goes to show if you had a cool truck with big back tires you could get the girls even back then.
Love that picture!
Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 11:24 am:

Notice the front fender. It is not the commercial type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 11:36 am:

My '18 TT (I think) also has fenders like those in picture (regular T fenders). I've always thought that Ford was not very consistent in the use of the "commercial" fenders on TT's, at least not in the early TT years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 12:06 pm:

Larry-
By "commercial type" I presume you mean the type that has the "wide crown" without the short bead under the splash apron.

It is my understanding that those type of fenders were introduced in 1925 and undoubtedly were used on TT trucks in 1925-1927.

Does your '25 roadster pickup have the so-called "commercial type" fenders?

More importantly, are these girls part of a kazoo band or are type smoking see-gars along with their proud driver?

Speaking of girls smoking cigars, everyone be sure to with your mom a Happy Mother's Day if you can.

Thanks for the picture, Jay.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 01:40 pm:

There was no such thing as a "commercial" fender.
That type came out in '25, the same year the TT started coming out with cabs from the Ford factory.
The '25 cars had them too.
Why would they set up and make a special fender for he trucks or commercial vehicles?
the TT trucks kept using that fender until the end. The cars changed to the Improved Ford type for the '26 models.
Since the TT kept using the '25 fenders they became known as the commercial fender.
I don't hear the TT hoods & radiator shells called commercial.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 01:46 pm:

Too bad that lamp is hanging the way it is. We can't quite make out the sign on the side of the truck near the front.

I have heard about hanging a lantern on the rear of a TT to keep from being rear ended at night by more modern and faster cars & trucks.
In 1904 New York passed a law making tail lights mandatory. Cars were being hit by fire trucks at night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 02:11 pm:

Arron,

I'm no expert and I know it's not "proof", but in the vendors catalogs there are "Commercial" fenders for years 1917-23 and slightly different ones for 1924-25. The 1926-27 fenders are labeled "all body styles", but as I understand it, the 1924-25 fenders were used on TT's until the end of production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 02:12 pm:

Sorry, that should sat, "Aaron".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 05:57 pm:

I don't think those are Okies.

The clothes are too fancy for down and out types. For example, the two women on the lower right are wearing spectator shoes.

The last three words of the sign say "Mission Cliffs Transfer." That would mean it's most likely moving truck.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration