Cold, but a great 30 seconds!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Cold, but a great 30 seconds!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:02 pm:

Heard about this neat 1944 Nickel Plate Road steam locomotive and several passenger cars passing through my neighborhood on its way to Bellevue from Cleveland, and as I am as much a steam train lover as I am a T-lover, just HAD to hop in "Pete" the pickup for a quick photo op. Wish I coulda got more than one shot,and without railroad guys in it, but it was buzzing along about 50 mph. It was a great day (moment)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 09:25 pm:

Yeah - railroad guys always in the way of a good shot ! ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:28 pm:

Tim,

Great shot! Years ago I hoped to get a cab ride in UP 844 but it was uncoupled because of old trackage where the run was going. I did get a cab ride in the restored E9 though. Absolutely priceless. Love the trains of past. PS: That's the most sealed crack piece of road I've seen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:42 am:

Dennis:

thanks. Great you got to ride an engine! Interesting about your comment on the roadway...even my wife said it ruins the picture! Around here they love to use lots of "road syrup"!! Between their over-use of salt and the freeze-thaw the roads don't stand a chance!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:44 am:

Now there is a cover shot for "The Vintage Ford". Not staged, just a great photo with steam!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:48 am:

Great, thank you for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lauderback, Milwaukie Oregon on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:38 am:

Not "T", but can I get points for "close"? Being a steam engineer myself, albeit on a small engine, I have connections with the local "big boys". A couple of years ago the SP&S 700 was leaving the old Brooklyn Roundhouse here in Portland for an excursion trip so a friend and I took our Model A's down for a photo op. The old roundhouse was torn down last year to make room for a truck parking lot. The three locomotives were moved to a new facility, but after 9-11 the insurance to operate them is so prohibitive that they only rarely leave the building. Guess Homeland Security is afraid they'll take one out and fly it into the side of a building.
"My" little locomotive on the Washington Park and Zoo Railway is only about 10 tons, but if any of you are ever in Portland you're welcome to contact me and and get a cab ride with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Green on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:52 am:

WOW! Tim, That's a nice picture blow it up and hang it on the wall some where. The sealant on the cracks in the road adds a'lot of crazy charter! Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:12 pm:

can someone photoshop out the yellow lines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:39 pm:

Ken, I would wet my pants in excitement riding your "little" locomotive!! And I wouldn't even blame it on the prostate!!! LOL...And yes you get points for the A's by that beautiful steam engine. Steam engines and antique cars just seem to go hand in hand.
Nathan, wish I had, and/or even knew how, to photoshop...I do plan to crop out the guys and hang this in my garage and Model T barn. I'd even like to get rid of the crossing light thing. Maybe I'm too picky.
David- appreciate the nice comment. I just love "this little truck"....only had him for 3 weeks and just having a ball.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 01:12 pm:

I've seen a lot of photoshops and while I can't do it because I don't have the program, it would only take someone of mediocre skill to shop out the stuff you don't want. I'm sure someone on here has the program and the ability to do that, just need to make sure they see this thread and your picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:25 pm:

Ken,

SP&S 700 is awesome. Very sleek steam engine. I watched trackside as it went through Marshall west of Spokane some time ago. Also chased it west to beyond Cheney. I'd do it again if it comes through our area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:36 pm:

Tim - Very nice picture, Here is a shot we got 2 years ago at the top of Cumbres Pass in Colorado Elevation over 10,000 ft. This is a 1923 Baldwin narrow gauge locomotive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:47 pm:

First- Rob Heyen-forgot to say "Thank You" for the compliment and hope you're doing better with that hip. I'm still limping on my right foot with this heel spur as I'm too stubborn to have it taken care of until this coming late fall when the cars are done for the winter! I feel for you being "out of service"

And-Mike V.--somehow I thought maybe some more train pics would come up, thats why I keep "coming back" to my own thread!! That is fantastic!! both the train and of course the three cars!! Thank you too, for your contribution!
How do the cars do at such a high altitude? I remember driving thru Colo. a while back in our '94 Thunderbird at about 12,000 maybe? and wow, she didn't like it at all. Wife & I thought we weren't gonna get up the hill! Back down to 8,000 and ran great then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:10 pm:

Tim - They don't have as much power but they do fine, Just lean them out a little and retard the spark a little when climbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:02 pm:

Be careful, ya' hear?

A STEAM traction engine has collided with the wall of a well- known Purbeck hotel today, but luckily caused only minor damage.

On a weekend which saw the Dorset Beer Festival in full swing, with many steam vehicles on display, the engine was travelling past the Bankes Arms in East Street, Corfe Castle, at around 4pm when it clipped the corner of the pub.

Dorset Police said the engine had come off worse in the collision, and there were traffic delays through the village while a recovery vehicle was called.

There were no injuries.

The manager of the Grade II- listed hotel said the crash had shaken the entire building.

“I was over the other side when it happened and wondered why everything started to shake,” she said.

“Fortunately it was only some of the stonework chipped and broken, and no-one was injured, that’s the main thing.

“It was a bit of excitement for a Sunday afternoon.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:05 pm:

Lets see if I can get this posed photo to come thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:23 pm:

This train came through St. Peters last summer.
Thought it was a photo op.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:20 pm:

Ricks,
I do believe that is a steamroller. Used to see those a lot when I was a kid, and I remember them well doing asphalt paving work.
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Battell (south of Fond du Lac, Wis) on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 09:05 pm:

Nathan-
Is this what you had in mind?

sans yellow lines

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration