'15 touring is leaning to left?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: '15 touring is leaning to left?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:34 am:

Our '15 Touring is leaning to the left a bit--toward the driver's side. It was straight when I put the car together. I'm not a big guy--185--but is that why? It seems all is where it should be when looking under the car but when I measure the distance from the garage floor to the top of the rear fenders there is a difference of about 2 inches. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:37 am:

Is it the whole car or just the fenders? Measure the distance to the floor from both frame rails.

Post pictures! Folks on here are pretty great about spotting even the smallest thing that might be out of place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:51 am:

John, look at the front spring. Is the center bolt thru the spring still lined up with the hole in the frame cross member.
If the frame slides off the center of the spring, it will result in one side of the front lower than the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:59 am:

A slight lean to the drivers side seems to be pretty common.

If the frame is not sitting level on the springs, the service manual recommends adding leather shims on the offending side between the spring and the frame. (I presume you have original style leather spring pads on your car and not the rubber pads that are sold by the vendors. The original leather style has tapered wedges.)

If the frame is straight and the body is not sitting level, you can shim between the body brackets and frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:15 am:

Referring to there tilted body! My '19 was the way and since I have two "U'bolts for the front and rear spring I was told to put a level on the body. Loosen front and rear "U" bolts nuts and tighten the on one that will bring the body back to level. It worked for me, and on the Depot hack I used the same method and it is level. So it might be worth a try "if he has two "U" bolt in front and of course in the back.

Go out and enjoy the ride

Bill
Redding, Ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:16 pm:

Here are some photos I just took of the '15 in the garage. The measurements on the car: floor to top of r/f fender--35 1/2", floor to top of l/f fender--35", right frame at center body mount from the floor--22 1/2", left frame at center body mount to floor--21 1/2", top of r/f fender to floor--38 3/8", top of l/f fender to floor--35", left bottom corner of body to floor--25", right bottom corner of body to floor--26 1/2". I hope the pictures are clear enough for you to see what's going on. Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:34 pm:

John,

Looks like the rear spring has shifted on the rear crossmember.

Maybe the spring clamps are a bit loose? Or check the center spring bolt, it could be sheared off or slipped out of the hole in the crossmember.

Good luck.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:01 pm:

Thanks Larry. Good suggestion. I'll check that out and report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:42 pm:

Comparing the frame bracket rivets to the spring top leaf on the front I don't think the front spring is centered either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:03 pm:

Clearly the coil spring (shock absorber??) on the left side is more compressed than the one on the right. Possibly the left one has lost some of its tension, through constant use? Or do you think that is just a product of the fact that the car is leaning because of some other problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:30 am:

one thing that happened on my car is the leather pad that goes just on top of the rear spring rotted out on one side. This alone caused my car to sit crooked. When you jack up the chassis to check and see if your springs are sitting center go ahead and check for that pad. If you still have the leather one i would suggest removing it and using the rubber repops. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:34 am:

This is the pad i am speaking of,

http://www.modeltford.com/i/c/475551l.jpg

the center bolt of your springs' head goes through the hole and this sits on top of the springs.

(sometimes i like to tell experienced users way to much information because i know that sooner or later an unexperienced person will read this trying to figure out what is going on)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 01:50 pm:

Along with the above posts, I will add a couple of things to check. Look very carefully at all the leaves in the springs. Sometimes one or more can be broken causing it to sag on the side where it is broken. Also check the U bolts to be sure they are evenly tightened. Check the frame crossmembers for cracks too.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the springs, and take them apart. Be careful when removing the center bolt that they don't spring up and injure you. You can tie a rope around the leaves or some type of clamp to let them release gradually. While the leaves are apart clean off all rust, re-paint them and lubricate them. Graphite mixed with grease works, some use a type of graphite paper between the leaves. Bolt them together and re-install with new pad. Be sure the bolt head is in the hole in the frame. This should fix your problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:37 pm:

Aside from your leaning issue, you really need to oil your spring hangers.

Other general observations;

1. Please consider adding a lower brace to your front wishbone for added front end stability and overall safety.

2. How well do your Rocky Mtn. brakes work with the brake rods bent so severely? When the brakes are applied the rods will tend to "unbend" and act more like springs than brake rods that give a solid and direct pull.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask about these things but I think the others have got your leaning problem figured out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 05:53 pm:

This afternoon I first removed the 4 cotter pins from the 2 U bolts that hold the rear spring in place, then loosened the 4 nuts. I didn't mess with the front end at all. Then I used my engine hoist to raise the left side of the car to just past level, tightened the 4 nuts and replaced the cotter pins with new ones. When I lowered the car it came down nicely and looks very good. Thanks for all the help. That was a simple fix. Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:24 pm:

An easier fix would be to have a fat person ride in the left seat.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration