Worn out '26 steering shaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Worn out '26 steering shaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duris on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:32 pm:

Hi, I'm new here. I've got a '26 touring with worn out steering. The 3 little gears in the steering gears are worn out, the pins are worn, the pin holes are worn and the holes in the gears are worn. I've got an older steering column with good internal parts. My question is, can I replace the bad '26 steering shaft and gears and pins with the older shaft, gears and pins? Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 01:08 pm:

Welcome, Ron :-)
The parts you mention are available new from the vendors, but you can likely find good used parts much cheaper. Many tries to find 1925 & newer 5:1 parts for their older T's, so if your older column is 4:1, you're not looking at any improvement in steering with 21x4.50" tires - the Ford cars with 4:1 had narrower 30x3" or 30x3.5" tires.

Many gets a (too) tight fit when fitting 5:1 parts to earlier steering gear cases - so fitting earler parts in a later housing might give a sloppy fit? (not sure about that)

Remember to use the short upper steering wheel pinion axle that fits with the correct gears & steering shaft - if wrong types of gears are matched, the steering may lock up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duris on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:11 pm:

Thanks Roger! This is different information than I got locally. I took off the steering wheel and tried to match up the gears from the older steering shaft and it wasn't quite right. I did feel a little tight. I'll be looking for a 1925,26,27 steering shaft then. I hate to go out and buy new and I think I can find one in the area, so thank for your help. Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:17 pm:

Hi Ron - Bumped this up to the top for you as I've been watching to see if you get some help on this from "those that know" (certainly not me!). I do know that there has been considerable discussion on the steering "planetary" gears in the past, and I know for a fact that if nobody else besides Roger from Sweden responds to your question, a "keyword" search will bring all that stuff up if you play with keywords a bit. Then again, maybe Roger answered your question,.....????

We're still up near Bellingham with the M/H due to my Mom's frail and fading condition in a nursing home up here,....hope to be home before too much longer,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:20 pm:

Oops! You and I were typing at the same time Ron. As long as I'm back in here again, I think it was John Regan of "Fun Projects, Inc." that wrote a lot about those steering pinion gears a year or two ago,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:09 pm:

Here's a picture from Ford's service bullentins showing the differences in dimensions:

steering gearsteering gear old

Here are a couple of old threads on the subject:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/305656.html?1345190886
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/178734.html?1293727614
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/103913.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:18 pm:

Roger - Not trying to speak for Ron Duris but those threads you just provided pretty well cover the subject, including the posts I had remembered by John Regan. Thanks for doing that, and it's obvious that you are a lot better at doing the "keyword search" thing than I am,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duris on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:01 pm:

Thanks guys. I was out in the shop tinkering with the '26 and away from the computor. The diagram is just what I needed to see. All questions are answered and, thanks to B. Bender I think I have a line on a complete 26/27 column. Hope things are as ok as possible Harold. The guys at the meeting were all wishing you the best. The Buckley fly in was as great as always on Saturday. Thanks again Roger.Ron

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration