Freight companies. Ship T Engine short block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Freight companies. Ship T Engine short block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY Naperville, IL on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 02:36 pm:

I've no experience with shipping small (LTL) freight. I'm ready to ship my T 'short block' for a rebuild.

This is a crated engine (no pan). It's class (they all seem to ask for this in the online quotes) is around, class- 150. The crate should weigh about 275. I'm shipping from Chicagoland region to West of Alexandria, VA (about 700 miles).

I'm guessing at the weight. Fully assembled block & head = _______LBS. ????

I can deliver it to a depot if it's not too far. It's going to a legit business address with a loading dock. Fed-X comes in at $405.00 (That seems high) and I just began Social Security so economy is the keyword here.

Any suggestions for a good freight company that may save me a hundred bucks or more would be most welcome!
Jimmy
1923 Faultless Boat tail Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 02:39 pm:

I would check into shipping the bare block by fed ex or UPS, with the crank and cam in a different box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY Naperville, IL on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 02:50 pm:

Sorry, that wont work. Shop wants assembled block with fixed head in one crate. Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:07 pm:

If you are close enough to where any trucking company has a terminal, you can generally ship an item cheaper if you can drop off the item or pick it up right at their terminals. Last quote I got for having my refurbished Engine/Trans. for Cincinnati, OH to the Twin Cities was $300 through R&L.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Nelson on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:20 pm:

Check with Fastenal Co. They are backhauling freight on their delivery trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 03:58 pm:

Also, can check Uship.com, they take your information and then put it out to bid. I did that with a brass era body. I was a little concerned at first, but it worked out well. You know beforehand who the shipment is sublet to and are asked to aprove. The parties at both ends are in communication with the shipper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:14 pm:

I've shipped several engines using http://www.forwardair.com

Use plumbers tape to bolt the engine to a pallet. Wrap in plastic. Easy and cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:19 pm:

If you've got a friend wth a FedEx account, the charges should be MUCH lower. Mike Peterson in Shevlin, MN. shipped me a complete rebuilt short block (minus head) by FedEx and I was surprised how reasonable it was. Also, once, Little Dearborn in Minneapolis shipped me a bare block with the crank, rods, and misc. other parts in another box, by UPS, and the charge was reasonable. The only problem with that shipment was that UPS dropped the box with the block from such a height that the block cracked in several places along the pan surface and was unrepairable. I didn't get the block and Little Dearborn had to collect insurance from UPS. Now, I refuse to accept shipments by UPS almost at all times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:27 pm:

I tried to ship an assembled engine and they would not because it had oil on the bearings and the California regulations would not allow that little bit oil lubricant oil even only in the journals with no crank case installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:19 pm:

I'm surprised that they would rate it at such a high class. Next time you call, tell them it's a chunk of iron and it'll ship at class 50 for a lot less. Make sure it is in a sealed wooden crate and not bare, strapped to a pallet.

Having said that, check with Forward Air. Great rates for those without corporate accounts. Even though they have "Air" in the name they do ship LTL by truck. I've shipped a number of arcade and pinball machines over the years by them.

Also, look for an independent trucker who doesn't want to dead head back to where ever. Most of them will gladly carry something back for a lot less than it could otherwise be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:20 pm:

Just saw that Royce suggested Forward Air as well. They have a great reputation for being fast and fair around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 03:16 am:

Ask Mike Peterson, he ships shortblocks all the time. http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=mike_peterson-users

He sent one I bought from his place in Shevlin, Minnesota to a container shipper in Hampton, Virginia for $100 1 1/2 years ago.

He sends them without a head, maybe adding a head increases shipping cost significantly?
He uses thick dense styrofoam plastic sheets on all sides of the engine inside a corrugated cardboard box. The protuding valves didn't bend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:41 pm:

James,

You need to build a bulletproof wooden crate
to survive the rigors of commercial drop shipping.

Your engine will be handled several times by a forklift.

The odds of someone going directly from where you
are located to where your engine needs to go are
pretty slim.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration