Valve Adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Valve Adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:22 pm:

Just installed a new camshaft and went to adjust the valves. I'm using my old 3 wrench adjustable lifters BUT even with the lifter screw all the down the valve is not quite seated plus I need about .010 clearance. Do I just grind the valve stem a little shorter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 04:34 pm:

Yup, as long as everything else looks good and that's the only issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:24 pm:

I had the same problem hand that's how I solved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:34 pm:

Do you have to use a valve grinding machine to grind the valve stem or can you do it with a regular bench grinder?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:58 pm:

As long as the end of the valve stem is smooth and flat and perpendicular to the shaft of the stem it doesn't much matter what you use to shorten it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:09 pm:

Norm

If you have access to a belt sander, they work well for taking a little off valve stems. Easy to make minute adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:17 pm:

Use a file, it's very easy to take off to much! KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:30 pm:

I installed a new .250 cam with new valves and had to take off .100 to get enough clearance to adjust the valves.

Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration