Rough Running....any ideas?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Rough Running....any ideas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:36 pm:

I recently had a problem getting my '22 to idle and stay running and found my new timer flapper was sticking and only hitting 2 cylinders so I put the old one back in and....SUCCESS! Now she runs but not real well. I checked the plugs, all 4 are getting good spark if I ground them on the head but #1 always comes out wet. So I tried another plug, still sparks outside but comes out wet. I moved the coils around and its still #1 that has the problem.

The coils are from Brent Mize last fall, I rebuilt the coil box with a Fun Projects kit,along with new correct contacts from them too. The firewall is new so I had to rewire everything,Adjusted the valves to .012, Rebuilt the carb with all new gaskets and internals, Repaired bad tranny so the motor was out, so at this point im sort of happy she at least runs, But really want my smooth running T back!

Heres the link to a video I took, If anyone has any ideas, let me know. You can really tell how rough it is when I get near the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNsHDpD9jj4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 05:40 pm:

And yes, I dont have the radiator on, But this video I took is the longest that I ran it at one time without letting it cool........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:38 pm:

1 and 4 sound DOA... switch the coils and see if 2 and 3 will misfire. Coils, coilbox, plugs or timer... troop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:20 pm:

Saw your video and first thing I have to say is do not run that thing too long w/o the radiator, not good for it. First, crank motor slowly to hear each cylinder buzz. If not try swapping the coils. You might also have one and four crossed on the timer, they might be firing but at the wrong time. Simple to do and I know this from experience. Also check compression on those two cylinders to see if you have any. Might have a valve hanging open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:22 pm:

Pat, Model T Fords usually have a rich condition on the first cylinder. You could try and inset and put a modern plug in that cylinder. Modern Plugs come in different heat ranges and can overcome a rich condition.

This would not be permanent but would just be a trial to see if the wet plug can be controlled. Sort of like a heart lung machine during a heart operation.

I use the Champion RN16YX as it is the hottest one they have and it works for me at about $1.25 a pop it is worth the try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:29 pm:

I already swapped the coils, each one fires when I rotate the motor by hand. I'll check the timer wires tomorrow, I thought I changed one at a time, but hey-you never know, its possible I put 2 on the wrong posts. I've only been running the motor for a minute or so at a time while I tried different things so It really hasn't gotten that hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:42 pm:

Along the same comment as Frank, the mixture adjustment should be tuned in and out to see what difference it makes.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:46 pm:

Pat, When you check the wiring to the timer remember that the firing order on the Model T is 1-2-4-3. This is different that some other old 4 bangers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:07 pm:

Pat,

I have not had any good luck with the plugs you have. They foul quickly and can't be cleaned.

The plug wires you have look like some bad ones I got recently from one of our vendors. Are the wires soldered to the terminals? Mine were not. Dead cylinders were the result. After I soldered them they were fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:11 pm:

I went to the Garage and checked the timer, just going by the numbers stamped on the timer case, all is wired properly. I think its only missing on cyl #1 as the other 3 plugs look good, a little carboned up but definitely firing, not wet like #1 but that makes me believe its still too rich. If the rear three are rich then #1 might just be TOO rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:16 pm:

Royce, The plugs you see are an older set I used when I was trying to figure out what was wrong. I have a set of X plugs that I had in the car when I first put it together and swapped them out for the ones you see in the video because its what I used last year when It ran good. If youll notice #1 still has an x in it as I was trying different plugs just to get it to fire. The Plug wires are soldered at the connections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:33 pm:

Pat - Check to see that the contacts in coil box are making contact with the coil. If the coil box was rebuilt using new contacts some of them do not have enough spring to them and will flatten out. If this is the case then that would cause the miss. I just ran into this on Saturday with one of our club members cars, he called me and asked me to bring along a coil because he said he had a dead coil. He put the new coil in the box and it was still dead. I checked the contacts in the box and sure enough they were flat. I pried each one up and bent it a little and the problem was solved. I know that Fun Projects in now making the proper spring contacts for the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:38 pm:

Mike, I used the Fun Projects contact kit you mentioned. Doesnt mean that it hasnt turned out of position just enough the barely make contact. I'll double check tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:50 pm:

Have you swapped spark plugs? If so, is #1 still wet? Also, you say wet. Is it gas or oil? If it is gas, you are running too rich, if oil, you could have a bad ring. Check the compression. It should be nearly the same on all 4 and around 50 lbs if you have a stock head.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration