26 27 Roadster Deck Lid Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: 26 27 Roadster Deck Lid Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:15 am:

I have a 26 27 Roadster Deck Lid skin and liner panel and need to assemble them. On the surface is seems pretty straight forward, cram the liner into the skin and bend over all the tin on all edges.

Does anyone have a procedure that works for bending the edges over? The top and bottom edges should be easy, maybe back up the finished outside surface with a piece if hard wood or flat steel and hammer flat.

The edges me be a little harder, a 1/4" of sheet metal has to be bent 180 degrees over another 1/4" of sheet metal. Maybe a 1/4" thick steel backup plate on the inside and hammer from the out side??

Is any welding required to keep it from flexing after the edges are bent over?

Anyway, any experience or ideas would be appreciated.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 02:43 pm:

Having never put a lid together but have sold a few complete lids, and installed some. I recommend spot welding/welding the too pieces together. I also recommend making sure the captured nuts are tightly fastened... They come loose when the screws are tightened to the sheet metal inner skin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 03:48 pm:

You might call Howell's Sheetmetal and see what they recommend. I would think the two edges would be needed to be pinched together before you start to bend them. Spot welding as suggested by Mike might accomplish this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Linsenbarth on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:00 pm:

If you have a body shop supply company near by you need to buy a door skinning tool about 80-100 dollars, are just use a body hammer and dolly and work slow. spot weld last.
Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:33 pm:

When spotwelding and folding the edges - Check the shape often in place in your turtle deck so you get the same curve in the lid as in the deck :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 07:13 pm:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I now have the lid together. I made a dolly to support the edges when folding over the sides. The dolly is double ended and straight on one end and curved on the other to nearly match the curve of the lid.

The dolly:

Tightening up the sides:

Completed:

It seems pretty stiff without and welding but I may spot weld it during final fitting on the car.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration