New Boy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: New Boy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shaun Veness on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:09 am:

Hi, just thought I would take time to join this forum, I am about to embark on my first foray into T ownership, my first one is going to be a part's bin special built from spares and left over part's from a good mate. It will not be strictly all T as I am using Model A axles and a Studebaker Flatty 6 motor to power her. Chassis is 1927 and the body is the front half of a 24 Tourer that has seen better day's. I'm counting down the hours until I can get her home and start my build. I'm a 49 year old chap who has spent the last 35 years playing with old motorcycles, mainly Panthers but I do own a 30's/40's stroker Indian scout mongrel... I am nearing the end of a 5 year Hotrod Pop pickup build but really fancied something older and more traditional.. I'm already lining up my next project which is a survivor 27 T Doctors coupe, I hope to build this one using all T part's... cheers Shaun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:17 am:

Welcome, BUT what your describing is not a model T but what I would call a Rat Rod. More traditional here for a T "go fast" is what we call a speedster, please look under the picture page. Many different types but all have a 4 cly Ford Model T motor in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shaun Veness on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:28 am:

I guess I'm maybe in the wrong place then... I am building this with the part's I have or can afford, I'm planning on the coupe being all T but that one will only come about if I'm left with anything after my late wife's estate is finally sorted.. I would love to power this "modified" with a T motor but just can't justify the money at the moment, so Studebaker it is... I will return when I have a real T to share.. adios folks..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:48 am:

Shaun,
We have many forum members who are waiting to own a Model T, have friends who own Model Ts, or simply wish to learn and discuss Ts, so by all means, check back in time to time (as often or seldom as you choose).

If you hang around the forum long enough, you'll find a way to own a T, then another, then..... You get the idea.

Welcome,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 10:59 am:

You'll get all the advice you need here about the 27 T Coupe, but for the studebaker/A/T/ special you'll get better support over at the HAMB: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Your proposed build reminded me of a fun & obscure 50's rocker, Dorse Lewis with the Shadow Mountain Boys; "Hot Rod Boogie" :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltR1LxdvjSQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:05 am:

From
http://www.tcarlson.ca/hotrodlincoln.html

"HOT ROD BOOGIE by Dorse Lewis
written by Dorse Lewis
Cozy 398, (mid-'50s)
Billboard review date: Not reviewed
Chart position: Did not chart

If you've ever heard Johnny Cash's song "One Piece At A Time" or Guy
Drake's "Welfare Cadillac", you'll better understand this song. It's
about a guy putting a car together piece-by-piece. Dorse Lewis' opus
is definitely directly related to Arkie Shibley's original song.

Rock It Boys!

Now I went to the junk yard the other day,
Justta take a load a scrap iron away.
Now I got off to a pretty good start,
when I traded my junk for some used car parts.
I took 'em home and I never stopped
'n' I put 'em together, and here's what I've got,
(setta dice...shake, rattle and roll, roll 'er boys)

Now, the cab and chassis of a model-A,
and the springs and shackels of a Chevrolet.
A Mercury motor and a Dodge rear end,
and the fenders off an old Terraplane.
Fuel pump off a GMC and the windshield off an ol' Model-T.
Two big axles, one-a them dead,
off a Studebaker 'n' a President (split axles makes it boogie).

Now, it's got a Crosley tire and a Cadillac tube,
a Buick carbureter and a Henry J hood (all parts interchange).
Plymouth radiator and Chrysler lights,
'n' a generator off an old Willys Knight.
The gearshift up on the steering wheel,
and the emergency off an Olds-O-Mobile, a Rocket 88 (rock it boys).

Now it's got the Kaiser looks 'n' the Frazer shape,
a Pontiac horn 'n' Packard licence plates (violatin').
When I flunged it together I had a lot of fun,
everybody asked me, "do you think that'll run?"

Well I got it to run and I started to town,
and a motorcycle cop aimed to chase me down.
I knew he's close't, I could see in the mirror,
I said "heck, bud, I'm still in second gear."

So I give it the gas, 'n' with m'double clutch,
and I left him not a-makin' much (about a hunderd and four).
When the speedometer hit a hunderd and five,
I felt it drop into overdrive,
and then it started viberatin', shimmyin' 'n' goin' inta the boogie.

Now its top speed I'd hate to try to tell,
because I think it's faster'n jet propelled.
Don't ask me to buy 'cause I won't sell my Hot Rod,
but if you want to take a ride just drop me a line,
If you got the money honey, I've got the time (we'll go hotroddin')."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 01:05 pm:

Good one, Roger, thanks.

I hate to see anyone pushed away. People can come and go by what they take from the Forum, and what they can add.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:46 pm:

Shaun, most speedster are 4 bangers(pre 1934), but not all. There are good resources for T stuff here. North West Vintage Speedster site might give you some ideas.Also do a google search for speedster and see what comes up. Find what you can use and leave the rest. You will get too your coupe sooner or later, but in the mean time don't be afraid to hang around here. It can be a tough crowd but there is a lot of knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:21 pm:

RODGER, Good stuff Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 02:18 pm:

Shaun,
Ownership of a (n actual) model T is not necessary to participate in this forum! Just understand that many on here do not appreciate a real model T being destroyed for other interests. Use of leftover/junk parts to build a "go-toy" is okay. Desire to later own a real model T is encouraged.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 02:43 pm:

Shaun, A Model T Frame is very flexible on purpose. Are you sure that you want to use a Model T Frame ? There are better choices that are stronger and will not have the suspension issues later when you drive it in actual road conditions with your heavier components.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration