Valves What I did

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Valves What I did
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 05:53 pm:

grind stem Clips

stem sticks out

retainers

I had a post about valve clearance and a new cam this is what I did. I drilled a scrap block of aluminum and bolted it to my grinder guard. This holds the valve nice and straight. Then my old retainer clips stuck out past the valve stem. You can see the newer clips have the groove in a different location. Also installed stronger spring holders. I think I solved my problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:24 pm:

I love it when a plan comes together ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:21 pm:

Norm, I think you added a lot of weight to the valve system. That will load the cam lobe and lifter face more than the stock parts. The stock retainer with a better pin will hold a lot of spring pressure. And it will be lots easier on the cam and lifter. Just my 2 cents, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:36 pm:

I have been running the modern setup for years with no side effects

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:10 pm:

As long as you are using Model T springs ,the little additional weight on the valve stem is negligible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 09:13 pm:

Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 12:22 am:

Norman, good idea. I am going to do that so I can grind my valves, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 01:39 pm:

Norm,

Are those Chevy 350 valves? The retainers look like Chevy 350 to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 01:48 pm:

where did you get the different keepers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 02:11 pm:

Guys, I got the keepers and spring holders at a very very old auto machine shop almost a museum in Lebanon PA and I remember the old guy saying they were from a Chevy. That's all I know and they FIT!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration