New drum headlamps for our Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: New drum headlamps for our Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:19 pm:

I haven't bee well for a couple of years and good old number 22 has bee neglected. I found a set of drum headlights at the Long Beach Swap Meet last year for $40 and restored them. Luckily the mirrors and rims shined up like new. I had a friend weld up some nuts and bolts I got at the hardware store and they can be adjusted up and down as well as rotated side to side. I got good sockets from the Restoration hardware company and so I made high and low beams with a proper switch. It's really high zoot and I see twice as well at night as I did with the Ford lamps.

It feels good to get up in the morning and be able to work on the car and oh yes drive it too. No more crutches and walkers for me. I am working on the back end of the car too and in a week or two I will post a picture of number 22's new look.

You can see what it used to look like down below.

lamps old

one of each during the change over.

new and old

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:34 pm:

Glad you are feeling better, Frank. I have to ask again, is 22 the top speed, or cruise speed?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 08:58 pm:

Frank,

It is so good to hear you are doing better! Below are a couple of photos of those headlamps from a previous posting:

If anyone knows what they may have come off of, please let us know. They are a little under 4 inches thick at the rims. The standard Ford "H" lens will fit them. The front rim and back cover appear to be interchangeable. I.e. you could remove the screws that hold them on and swap them. (It might or might not mount correctly after that -- but it looks like the two sides could easily be swapped out. When I e-mailed Frank last year, he did not see any marking that would identify them when he took them apart to cleanup and paint. I have a set very similar to them on my speedster and I haven't figured out if they are off a car, tractor, aftermarket or what.

Again Frank it is great that you are getting around so much better now.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:50 pm:

Those drum headlamps were made in the 1920's for the Model T Ford by The K-D Lamp Co. of Cincinnati Ohio. They originally came with "L shaped" mounting brackets so that they sat ahead of the radiator like the standard Ford headlamps. They could be had with smooth or grooved rims. The list price was $10 per pair. I have had one for many years, and found the mate for it last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 01:20 am:

Thank you Jim. Mine had a nice black paint job on them and appeared to be unused. I just could not turn them down for $40. and the bolts, nuts, and welding were another $25. There were no attachments with the set. and I had to get my own sockets and bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 06:00 am:

Jim,

Thank you so much for posting the information and for sending me a scan of the K-W lamp advertisement that you were not able to post. The image was too large but I resized it to below 200kb so the site would accept it. That will allow others to see it in the future. Who knows there may be some other “single” lamps out there looking for a mate.

For many of us we enjoy knowing where the various parts or accessories came from – especially if they are on our car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 10:13 am:

Frank and Jim thanks for this article as I also have a set that's to go on my accessory car. Frank Hope you are feeling better. I'm still hanging in there, haven't had my heart valve replaced yet, I'm bleeding somewhere, I've spent 10 days total in the hospital and gotten 10 units of blood, get short of breath quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:26 am:

John, be careful and take care of things that need to be taken care of. I had two years of h e double hockey stick and they finally fixed all of the errors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:59 pm:

Frank, I am pleased that you are feeling and doing better!
John, I have been wondering how you are. Do take good care of yourself!

Great headlamps! I have seen a few sets, never had any like them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:23 am:

Thank you Wayne, still kickin it down the road !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:46 am:

Frank,
Happy you are doing much better. Are those Bud wire wheels on No. 22? I finally finished a set of Bud wheels which are now on our 13 touring.
I had both of my knees replaced with in the last 2 yrs. and am very happy with the results.
Can now drive our Model T and other cars with no problem.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration