Have I left something out?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Have I left something out?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 05:34 pm:

Hello all,

When I rebuilt my 1916 engine and put the fan back on, I noticed that I had a tight fit between the grease fitting and the engine block. It is near impossible to get the grease fitting off and on due to the lack of room. Should there be a washer between the timing gear cover and the fan arm bracket?

Bill

image/bmpfan2
fan2_s.bmp (2.5 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 05:49 pm:

Sorry, I will try to add a photo that actually looks like a photo.

Bill
/Users/williamsevern/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2013/May 15, 2013/photo-2.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 05:51 pm:

OK, obviously I cannot post a photo. Any help with the fan problem will be appreciated.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 06:24 pm:

Bill

Here is 2 photos of my fan mounting (1915). please excuse the mess but I am dealing with a upper hose leak right now.

I usually have to loosen the mounting bolt and back off on the adjustment bolt to allow the fan to swivel down enough to grease it thru the zerk fitting.

Does that help? If not maybe you can use my pics to describe your problem.

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 06:36 pm:

Bud ,the grease zerk does not belong there. You must have a ;special grease cup that also acts as a lock nut for the fan shaft. it has female threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 08:10 pm:

It should look like this.

The 1914 - 17 used an unusual aluminum grease cup originally. I don't think any of the grease cups would have been brass in 1915 on the entire car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 08:50 pm:

Bud's grease fitting is a later addition. are you having trouble getting the grease cup apart or do you have a grease fitting similar to Bud's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 10:36 pm:

Guys,

OK, I'm going to try one more time to display a photo of my grease fitting. If it shows up OK, you will notice it almost hits the block. If I add a washer behind the fan support arm, it will move the whole thing forward slightly and should give me the added room I need. Hopefully it will not affect the belt alignment that much.

Let's see if the photo shows up this time.

Bill

fan2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:04 pm:

Bill

If you look at Royce's grease cup (and mine without the added zerk fitting), you can see that they are shorter than yours. Perhaps you can find a similar one.

Any washers you add should be with the intention of lining up the fan belt with the pulley as perfectly as you can.

I would solve the clearance problem with a different grease cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:17 pm:

I think your grease cup is cross threaded and not screwed all the way down. You need to take the fan and fan arm loose and fix it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 10:46 am:

Two things I would address. One is if you add a washer it will also move the fan pulley forward. You need to keep the pulley in line with the crankshaft pulley, or the belt will run off. Do not add any washer unless the fan pulley is now too far back.

Other thing. Can you remove the cup when you take off the belt and move the arm? If you can do so, that would be one way to grease that bushing. If you can find a shorter grease fitting like the one posted by Royce, do so.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration