OT Not so small engine help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT Not so small engine help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:40 pm:

Just picked this up the other week and don't know much about it,and when I say not so small it weighs in at just about 130#. I believe it to be around a 1947 vintage just from other parts it was attached to. Can see four little screws on the shroud that may have held a nameplate but other than the mag no ID. I got the piston freed up and it has compression but no spark from the mag. Any info would be a big help.Keeping it somewhat T related that is my 26 roadster in the background. Thanks Jim

engine1

engine2

engine3

engine4

engine5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:53 pm:

Probably have to take the shroud off to get to the flywheel. Probably a nut that holds the flywheel secure. It may be right hand threads. Get the flywheel off and you should be able to access the points. Clean them up and gap them about the thickness of a dime. Don't loose the key that times the flywheel to the crank. Reassemble and you will probably have spark. If the carburetor is getting gas to the engine it will probably start. If the points are badly pitted, file them flat and until they fit flat with each other. Then put them on and gap them. I think you may be surprised at how smooth that engine will run. Remember that if you have spark, ignition, and compression, it will run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 11:59 pm:

Sorry. Looked again and there is a Magneto on there so it does not have a flywheel mag and points. Probably have to disassemble the mag and clean it up. Check the plug wire to see that it is not shorted out. There is a guy close here that could have it running in a short time but u are probably not close to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:07 am:

Plug Edison-splitdorf into your browser. The name that is in your picture. They must have made mags for early motorcycles. You could probably get help in rebuilding the mag from one of the listings on the web.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 03:12 am:

James, I believe your engine is a Wisconsin. Most of them have an external magneto. There's a good chance you can clean the points it'll start sparking. Good luck. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 08:00 am:

Yes,that is a Wisconsin for sure. That is a sort of screwball mag for a Wisconsin but there are plenty of one cyl mags out there that will interchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 08:38 am:

Your first act if you don't have spark and it had a mag is to disconnect the shut-off/grounding wire going to the mag. A bad switch or grounded wire will kill the spark. You'll be surprised at how many older new parts are out there. You should be able to find a coil if you need one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 08:40 am:

PS: We were using Wisconsin engines at work into the 1970's so (with a mag.), yours might not be as old as '47.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 08:59 am:

Looks like a Wisconsin that came off a Gibson Tractor. They had a pulley like that. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:45 am:

Good place to ask questions about engines like this;
http://www.smokstak.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder - Houston, Texas on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:51 am:

We had a similar (over fifty years ago) junk Wisconsin missing the carb - so we adapted half a Model A intake complete with Tillotson carb - really woke it up :-)

It was off a big concrete mixer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 10:12 am:

I have 2 or 3 of those.I will try to get a model number for ye to use for reference.Most had Fairbanks Morse mags on them.
But,clean the points with a peice of fine sandpaper,then run some clean white paper thru them to remove grit and grease and it should spark.Check condensor next.
Most of those mags are reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 11:36 am:

Thanks for all the responses. Mack any idea what horsepower it may be. It came from a spray or fogging unit. I was told used for spraying the lagoons at our local amusement park Cedar Point back in the day's when you could do such things. The engine pushed a Sutorbilt blower, another mag (American Bosch)for firing some type of burner and what looks to be a gear type pump. The blower looks like it should be on a Hemi, it's big. Thanks again Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:47 pm:

After seeing Patrick Martin's post about acquiring a Wisconsin engine it reminded that I never thanked Mack and anyone else who responded to this thread about mine. Just by cleaning the points I was able to get mine running after about a forty year slumber. Thanks again Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 02:24 pm:

Dang,I aint got your numbers yet either!
Been busy hunting a new lawyer to take on my social security case and aint had much else on my mind the past few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 12:06 am:

That's ok Mack With what info you gave me back in May I was able to find out all I needed to know so I could get it running. And run it does it just sits there and purrs. Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration