Part question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Part question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Green on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 03:00 pm:

I've looked in lang's catalog for the commutator (timer) pull rod and can't seem to find the one for my 1916. But i do see one for the 1921 thru 1925. Does anyone know where i can find this part or part number for my car? Thanks, Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 10:18 pm:

Lang's catalogue says 3534B fits 1909-1925 but is correct for 1921-1925. Chaffin's catalogue simply lists it as 1909-1925. But the Ford parts book lists it for 1912-1925. Going by the Ford book, it looks like 3534B is OK for 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 10:30 pm:

Most likely, the timer rod is still the threaded type in 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 10:45 pm:

The original pull rod for your 1916 has a swivel ball joint at the steering column end which is threaded on the rod. Because it is threaded on the rod, the distance can be shortened or lengthened so fine adjustments can be made without having to bend the rod.

Ford eventually simplified the design and eliminated the swivel ball joint. This also would have lowered the cost of producing the rod.

The later style without the swivel ball joint will work on your car. Also, it may be considered safer. The original swivels tend to wear out and the ball can pop out of the socket. When I find original rods at swap meets, the swivels are usually worn out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 09:47 pm:

I have timer rods that the threads are worn down from vibration. A way to correct this, if the threads are still good, is to use a coil nut as a jam nut on the swivel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Green on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 06:42 am:

Larry, the one for my car is missing all to gather. I'm guessing when i moved the car from north Georgia down to south Georgia it fall off.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration