Heard from a friend that there is a T for sale close to me.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Heard from a friend that there is a T for sale close to me.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:12 pm:

Just had to post, I have a coworker that knows I am into T's. He said he saw a "T" for sale. I said how do you know it is a T? He said "Its old and black so it must be a T. Right?" I explained to him about the 300+ car manufactures back in the day and some of them where black as well. Also the different color early and late T's. He also said "It has wood spokes, so that makes it a T. Right?" Funny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Rivard on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:30 pm:

When I was a kid my Dad had a co-worker that said he discovered an old Model T in the woods while hunting. My Dad asked how he knew it as a T. The guy explained that it was black, had flat front and rear fenders (oh, boy a real old one) and had a canvas top which was quite ragged. (A touring!) and the interior was some kind of leather which was in fair condition. Sure sound like something worth tracking down. So the following Saturday we made a family trip about 2 hours into the Maine woods and walked down this woods trail and there it was right where he said it was. A 1956 Jeepster! Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:46 pm:

About twenty years ago a young lady I worked with told me her uncle had a really old antique car, but she couldn't remember what it was called. The next day, after asking her uncle, she told me what it was: 1968 Nova.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 05:22 pm:

Don - maybe you should have pulled that Jeepster home and kept it in the barn, considering the asking prices in Hemmings nowadays: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/willys/jeepster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 05:32 pm:

My first girlfriend's mother was not the sharpest tool in the shed, which continually caused me deep concerns about mingling bloodlines in the future. A small soap dish had more on the ball than this woman did. Even at age 17 I was very interested in antique Fords, especially Model A's. I wanted a Model A roadster so bad that I could taste it. It was the driving force in my life at that time. Somehow I managed to associate everything that happened in life with a Model A roadster. Boy, was I hooked! But I had to settle for a 1931 Standard Coupe as my first Model A because of the cost difference. Besides, in my neck of the country, there were hardly any roadsters around. The desire for a roadster wouldn't leave me a moment's peace, however. If anything, it increased in intensity. My frame of mind at the time and outlook on life in this matter are important to understand before you read the rest of this story.
One day, the girlfriend's father and mother returned from a camping trip in Wisconsin and had seen an all-white Model A roadster in a small northern Iowa town they had passed through. And best of all, it had a for sale sign on its windshield. Because the father had paid no attention whatsoever to the car while he was driving, I quizzed the mother very carefully about it and showed her Floyd Clymer's "Model A Album" with numerous factory photos of Model A roadsters. Pointing to one in the book, I asked if this was the car she had seen. Was it really a convertible or a coupe like mine with the top material missing? Was she SURE it was a Model A roadster, as judged by the Ford factory photos in front her??? Yes, she was sure it was a Model A roadster. It looked like my Model A coupe (with which she was very familiar), but there was no top. It was like the photos in the book, but it was painted white. That's all I needed to hear! With that kind of photographic affirmation, it had to be a Model A roadster, and as such, it wouldn't remain beside the road for sale very long. I had to move fast.
The town was 100 miles away, quite a distance for a high school senior with no modern car at his command. Based on my girlfriend's mother's description of the car, I daringly sneaked my parents' car out of the garage early the next morning (a BIG no-no!) and drove up to the town accompanied by my girlfriend, following her mother's directions. Oh, we found the white convertible by the roadside, all right, and it was for sale. But it was an all-white 1961 Jeep!!! A JEEP???? Oh, my aching *ss!!!! I screamed bloody murder, knowing I was going to catch H-E-double hockey sticks when I got home for "stealing" the family car, which would have been worth it if the car had been a Model A roadster afterall. I simmered, seethed and pouted the 100 LONG miles back home, trying not to say too many bad things about my girlfriend's mother. Naturally, she defended her mother, which was THE wrong thing to do at the moment. I had to stay away from the old battleaxe mother for two weeks until I cooled off - and was no longer "grounded" by my parents for stealing the family car. Things were never quite the same after that between my girlfriend and me, and we soon parted ways - much to the relief of my parents.
Anyway, that was 46 years ago and I STILL get mad all over again when I think about this event and how it ultimately put a schism between my first flame and me. Not only that, the elusive Model A roadster remained as unattainable as before. I eventually did get a Model A roadster and a better girlfriend with a mother, whose I.Q. was considerably higher than what I almost married into. My parents started speaking to me again shortly afterwards. :-)
So, you can see why I identify and empathize with what's been posted here so far. I've been there.
Marshall
P.S. I still follow old car leads, no matter how ludicrous they sound. I just don't expect them to turn up Model A roadsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 06:52 pm:

OK, here's the flip side. A guy at work (early '70's) told me about an old model A in a garage near him. Another guy said it was a '36 Ford (for sale). I didn't want either but decided to take a look. Turned out to be a '34 deluxe coupe with small block belly button motor, '39 trans with Zephyr gears, Lincoln brakes all around, 3 stromberg 97's, primo body with '60's fade out paint job, perfect fenders and nice grille. Partly disassembled. What could I do? I had to give him the $1000 asking price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 07:03 pm:

Old car leads....2 this week. 30 delux roadster restored years ago. Its here now. Just got back from looking at a 28-30 something chevy 2 door 1 mile from the house.Been sitting in the garage sense 52 Will pick it up after I take the roadster out of the trailer. Gonna flip the chevy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 08:00 pm:

Yeah, them flippin chevys, that's all they're good for....flippin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 01:23 pm:

BTW he was right I now have a thread with a picture of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 10:34 am:

I heard that there was an original 1931 Model A town sedan in a barn in SE Mass.

Wait a minute - It belongs to me but I don't have time to get it or room to store it in NH.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration