Rear axle shafts.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Rear axle shafts.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 05:15 pm:

What is the consensus on new replacement shafts? I see that Lang's offers them. Seems like there were problems on the coast to coast tour? I am in need of one shaft, for Dad's Fordor. One side had two shims, and the keyway is shot. Took apart my "parts" axle, and tapers and keyways are good, but the threads are thin. Maybe I'll shop for a used one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 05:24 pm:

Just talked to Lyle in Gaylord, he has good used. Looks like I am all set. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 08:24 pm:

The ones Lang's carries are good. I've used several with no problems. Unless you are using RM brakes or similar, go with the less expensive ones, which are like the originals. The more costly ones are longer than stock and not needed for an original-type setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 09:54 pm:

I agree with Mike, and if the current Rocky Mountain brakes were made correctly, you wouldn't have to do anything! I use original Rocky Mountain brakes, and they work as they are supposed to. The problem with all this reproduction stuff is, they think they know more than the original manufacturer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 12:03 pm:

Larry

I've never had an original set-up apart...these days, adding Rockies forces the parking brake-drum inboard when adding the Rocky drum (necessitating axle shims or longer axles). How does this differ from original set-up?

thanks,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration