26 Coupe unidentified spring???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: 26 Coupe unidentified spring???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Malone on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 01:16 am:

This spring goes on a 26 coupe, anybody recognize it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 01:27 am:

That is an accessory spring that goes on the spindle arm to tie rod end. It was to help with the wobbly nature of the T steering and/or shimmy. The one thing I noted on my 26 Fordor that had them was that they wear grooves into the spindle bodies. For that reason they will stay on the shelf an I made sure that the front end was rebuilt well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Malone on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 09:29 am:

Thanks Dale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 10:34 am:

I had a pair of those on my '14 Speedster when I first got it and had the same issue, some nice shiny wear grooves on the spindle body. I took them off when I rebuilt the front end. They do look kind of neat though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 11:54 am:

They have been on the 1924 coupe since 1976, don't know if they do any good, but they seem to cause no harm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 12:06 pm:

Better to fix the front end than apply a Band Aid to the symptoms. There, I said it first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 12:30 pm:

Hey Tony, pull the springs off and see if there's not some serious wear on the spindles. That's why I left mine off when I was checking them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 12:41 pm:

The problem with this type of accessories isn't the wear on the outside of the spindle body in my mind, it's the accelerated wear on the tie rod bolts and bushings. If they have been placed there by an earlier owner to hide the play as a quick fix, then it's much better to change bushings & bolts if necessary, then leave the springs off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 01:03 pm:

My first thought, before reading the comments was that it is an accessory spring for the emergency brake lever handle to replace the broken flat, spring steel handle spring that keeps the handle open and the emergency brake pawl firmly seated in the teeth of the quadrant. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration