Tire size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Tire size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Maw on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 11:24 am:

I have a 24 X 3 inch rim and a 25 X 2 1/2 inch rim. Both had 30 X 3 tires. Is this a correct application size for both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 12:14 pm:

I don't know how you measured, but a 30X3 tire has a 24" rim and a 30X3 1/2 has a 23" rim.
Rim size is measured from the point inside the rim to the opposite inside. Same point as you would measure for the "center" hole inside of the tire Unmounted.
I hope I put this in correct English

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 04:10 pm:

Don;
Contact the guys from the Indy 500 Chapter. There is several members in your area. Kenny Edmondson in Indy or Jack Daron in Brownsburg, In. among a few. Can't find their phone no., but someone can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 04:45 pm:

On face value, it does not seem correct.
The rim for a 30x3 tire is 24 inches across the centers. I do not have a 25x2 1/2 rim, but I would guess it would be 25 inches between centers so the 30x3 tire would have to be stretched by quite a bit to fit. It would be possible I suppose, but not a correct application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 04:52 pm:

in this post,
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/109798.html
scroll down to Hap's post of 10/09/ and see if that helps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Maw on Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 10:26 pm:

I measured outside edge of rim for width and outside also for diameter. Thanks all for input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 08:28 am:

Don,

You have to measure about 3/4" inside the lip of the rim on each side to get the rim diameter. Model T wheels originally came in 21", 23" and 24" diameters.

It sounds like you have a 23" and a 24" wheel. A 30 X 3 tire should be mounted on a 24" rim. The rim width is not typically considered when selecting tires for cars of this era.

The tire size is 3" thick on the top and bottom, so to find the proper rim size for a tire marked in this fashion you would add the tire height (3 inches) twice and then subtract from the tire diameter.

So in this case 3+3 = 6.
30 - 6 = 24.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration