Removing Rusty Screws from Brass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Removing Rusty Screws from Brass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 11:50 am:

My brass Master carb has badly rusted screws holding it together. Can they be loosened chemically in a bath, or is propane torch the way to loosen them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 03:17 pm:

Try a 500 watt soldering iron or torch heated iron with some PB blaster at the ready. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 06:42 pm:

Ralph
I have removed rusted machine screws from steel as follows;
Set a steel washer that fits around the screw. Then set a nut ( probably 5/16"). Grab the mig and turn up the heat a little. Weld it all together. Be sure to have a old piece of candle handy. As it cools melt a bunch of candle wax using the heat from the welding. Don't be shy about the wax. When it cools it should spin right out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 06:59 pm:

Use a screwdriver that fits the screw and give it a rap or two with a hammer. This will compress the brass just enough to break the corrosion bond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 07:45 pm:

Kroil works wonders. No shop or work-bench should be without it. Once you use Kroil, you'll never use anything else.
http://www.kanolabs.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 08:14 pm:

Where can you buy Kroil, besides on the internet. It said industrial use only

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 08:40 pm:

Richard, if you put something like " Wolf Engineering" on the order form they will sell it to you. It worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Monday, June 17, 2013 - 10:44 pm:

Any industrial supplier should be able to source it if they don't already have access to it. I would inquire at your local industrial supplier and see what they say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 12:57 am:

Heating something like that with a torch is risky. Complicated castings do not heat evenly, and can warp or break. There also may be zinc or pot-metal pieces, lead or solder that may melt, or other things.
I have to say, I have never done it. But I have heard that heating things like carburetors in an oven, where the heat is regulated and more even, is best. Often, not always, the the difference in thermal expansion will loosen steel screws from brass after a good thermal cycle.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 01:23 am:

Thanks, guys. I squirted Kroil on the screws before posting this, but these threads look to be beyond the creepiness of Kroil.

Thanks, Wayne, for the precautions. You reminded me: I have a toaster oven that will hold the carb, and I can run it up to 500F. I'll try that manana.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 10:45 am:

Rick, Try something like 250f as some metals melt at a very low tempt. Heating, cooling, heating a few times is safe and should do the trick. Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration