OT-slightly anyway New IE10

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT-slightly anyway New IE10
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 09:48 am:

OK, so my dumb fool notebook went and auto loaded IE10 (It IS set to ask first but I think it only asks so many times and then says 'up yours' :-))

Anyway...nothing else changed and it take forever and a day just doing the DNS lookup BEFORE it goes and 'looks' for a site and then apparently never sees an 'end of file' from the MTFCA site as the little spinner goes on forever until I manually kill it!

I've been all through this IE10 setting looking for toggles to set, or unset with no luck. Anyone else having IE10 issues or found a trick? (and yeah, I have Chrome set up too, but use IE primary).

It is so slow, let me put it this way...I type in the url and return...at about the point I'm expecting a page not found, I pick up the ipad, goes through same wireless router, and pad is quick as can be! I get there on ipad while the notebook is still whirring away trying to find where it wants to go...but it never faults, always gets there....eventually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 11:31 am:

I haven't opened IE since I installed Chrome a couple years ago.....Don't miss anything about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 11:35 am:

IE is a pinata for malware, haven't used it in many years. Firefox is a much better product IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 05:29 pm:

Lotsa problems with IE10. Suggest you rollback to IE9. You can then go to windows update site and tell it not to download & install 10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 06:20 pm:

I run Firefox. Any Internet Explorer beyond IE6 dinks up my camera and scanner software and slows my computer down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 06:54 pm:

George - You might try clearing Windows' DNS Cache then reboot.

1. Close all open windows of IE.

2. Open an elevated command prompt (Open as Administrator).

3. At the command prompt, enter “ipconfig /flushdns” (without quotes).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 07:03 pm:

We may be going to the "new" forum software soon too. I just got this error.

quote:

Form Referer Not Found. Found form variables were: COOKIE=>'HASH(0x9814068)'

This indicates a problem with the board skin. Please report this to the board administrator.

Please contact Webmaster if this problem persists.

Discus Pro 4.00.8
Copyright © 2002, DiscusWare, LLC, all rights reserved
Perl 5.008008/linux

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 10:32 pm:

Thanks,

I was just about to admit defeat and a why fight it and change to Chrome as default (Gee, wonder where IE10 got their screen from? :-))

Ken, I tried your trick...still not instant but hey a 3 second DNS assignment and a 2 second load! A hyper-link dive from the forum page to a topic, about 2 more seconds...that's about a divide by 15 or 20 on what was happening before. Thanks a lot!

I'm not the greatest at computers but usually hold my own and sort things out. I've never heard of that little trick before! Sure didn't find it among all the other garbage on a Google search for 'slow DNS look-up'

Slightly OT is good stuff for answers :-) Thanks team!

Oh and about that skip you got? I can't prove it but even on my IE9....when the dive command click on main forum page would only load the header and not more, or, would get a 'not found'...it was usually a precursor by a few days as to having to be a newbie all over again. Hope not so this time and we cruise through.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 12:40 am:

It could be updates running in the background slowing things down. Give it a day to catch up and see if it improves. IE10 is one of the fastest browsers now. Also, are you using a large Host file?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 03:31 am:

No chrome it is bad it spies on you & has ruined every other web browser and made them "update" to being blank with no button or utilities, i want my dozens of clocks with readouts of system performance damnit! IE6 was the bomb! No gauges or addons with it but still good. Why can't they just make IE6 again but with security bugs patched?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 03:54 am:

Before you upgrade any such programs, I urge you to read their "agreement." Adobe flash player gives them unlimited access to your computer, including microphone and video camera, if attached. It is truly invasive.

I won't accept it.

Spying by Big Brother companies is far worse than NSA, and run for their benefit only. As evidenced by Snowden, their hiring practices are defective. NSA should cancel all outside contractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 05:11 am:

Do you have a substitute for flash? Or live without it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 09:43 am:

An older version works with IE8 I'm using for part of my conglomeration. And I live without it when on Firefox, Kep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 07:52 pm:

You have the option to allow individual sites use Flash Player. I think I've allowed three. (YouTube, NBA and Microsoft) The others can pound salt. And I don't allow any to use disk space. I don't have a camera and microphone but there's options to turn access to those off too. I put up with the occasional notice that a site wants to use Flash. I simply close the notice. If the site won't work without it, then I don't need to see it. It's most likely nothing but flashing ads anyway.

I don't load anything from Google on this PC. Their toolbar and Chrome are data gatherers. And, I rarely use Google Search. (I use Bing.) I also use a Host file and Tracking Protection in IE that blocks most everything Google. Especially their analytics and statistics.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration