Brass radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Brass radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard gahr on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 02:57 pm:

Looking for a good used brass radiator for my 16 at a reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 03:54 pm:

Good luck with that. Good and reasonable price don't usually go together. After 97 years of vibration, most will have the fins shaken loose from the tubes so they don't cool like they used to. You have several choices.
1 Get very, very lucky, and find a good used one at a reasonable price.
2 Buy a new one from Brassworks or Berg's. Berg's will cost less but it will still be north of $1200.
3 Find a used one that may not cool anymore, but has a good tank, and have it recored. I chose to spend eight Benjamins on a recore job because I like the original tank better than the new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 05:27 pm:

One just sold on eBad for about $250 including stated shipping. I couldn't bid on it because money is just way too tight this month. Otherwise, I would have. That is about as cheap as they usually come these days.
I found one at the Bakersfield swap meet a few months ago. It was in terrible shape. Fins broken and bent. Tanks dented and side panels missing. I couldn't believe, at the end of the day, he still wanted $400 for it. I might have considered $100.
If you can swing it, you are really better off to buy a new one, I would. And I can fix almost anything.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown, NC on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 05:32 pm:

My friend has a 14 that is marginal on cooling and tends to steam after he gets it put back in the garage. It does have a water pump. We flushed it and now have it soaking down with vinegar hoping that may work. If the vinegar treatment doesn't do the trick, can the brass radiators be cooked in a hot tank without ruining the nice shiny finish?
When I had trouble with my 25, I was able to find picking vinegar (10%) but now i have not been able to find any in town. The stronger picking vinegar did a great job for me. I was wondering if everyone is going ahead with the regular (5%) and having success?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 05:49 pm:

Click's Texas Radiator in Dallas, TX might be able to save you a few nickels on a recore job. Talk to the owner , Wilson Peters. Texas Radiator is a distributor for new radiators and cores as well as a radiator repair shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 09:35 am:

Try the classifieds.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration