490 stewart warner repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: 490 stewart warner repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By earl s hopkins on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:32 pm:

there is no square drive in end of speedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 03:08 pm:

earl,

There were two Stewart 490 speedometer heads made. The 1926 model had no male screw-mount for the cable. The cable mounts with a small, off-set screw-socket. The 1927 had a more conventional screw-mount for a threaded collar on the cable. Which one do you have? A photo would help a great deal.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By earl s hopkins on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 04:47 pm:

this is a 1926 the cable slips inside the head. the speedo has a round hole is there a square insert. or is the hole striped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 05:48 pm:

There should be a square socket for the cable-end. Is the square key on the end of the cable fully inserted? I can't imagine the cable having enough force to strip out the hole all the way down, but if the cable is slightly too short, like 1/4 inch, it can slip in the end of the socket and eventually make it round.

To make mine work right, I had to insert a 1/2-inch shim (a piece of steel rod) into the drive-head socket to make the cable engage the square socket in the speedometer head correctly and make it turn. When it turns, the cable has a natural tendency to run away from the speedometer and hit the stop in the drive-head.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration