Aw, nuts! Another complication.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Aw, nuts! Another complication.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:51 pm:

Spring hangers (shackles) have 7/16-20 threads. But some of the castle nuts that fit them are 5/8" across the flats and some are 11/16". Just another little wrinkle to keep things interesting.

You are on an island in the jungle. Escape is impossible. Be happy in your work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:57 pm:

Steve -- All of them I've encountered are 11/16". I think that is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 02:10 pm:

1/4 inch bolts have 7/16 head and 7/16 nut
5/16 bolts have 1/2 inch head and nut
3/8 bolts have 9/16 head and nut except for some older ones with 5/8 nut
7/16 bolts have 5/8 head and 11/16 nut except for some older ones that have 5/8 nut
1/2 inch bolts have 3/4 head and nut
9/16 bolts have 13/16 head and 7/8 nut but 9/16 lugnuts are 13/16
5/8 bolts have 15/16 head and nut
3/4 bolts have 1 1/16 head and 1 1/8 nut

does anybody know why some sizes have the same head and nut while others are different?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 02:20 pm:

Like the rod nuts, bigger surface area to carry the load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 03:35 pm:

Agreed Mike - 11/16" on the shackle nuts and also correct Mark - T rod nuts are indeed 3/8-24 but the head is 5/8".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:15 pm:

Most Model T nuts have heads, but with them hat size is more important than thread size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:54 pm:

The most common nut problem is the hub bolt nuts. The new ones are 5/8, whereas the original Ford nuts are 11/16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 07:10 pm:

My Ford wrench is 5/8 for the lug bolt and 15/16 for the spark plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:32 pm:

"hub bolt nuts."

Methinks Larry is talking about the nuts on the bolts that hold the hub together, not the lug bolt nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11:09 pm:

That's ok Steve, I'm still finding a few metric nut/bolts . Dad used what ever was on hand.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11:47 pm:

I always thought that the nuts were larger because the mechanics only had one set of wrenches, think about it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration