Driving a T in Florida

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Driving a T in Florida
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 12:43 pm:

For those of you who have ever had envious thoughts about the Florida weather and being able to drive your T year round - TAINT' SO !!

Its been raining here every day for two weeks straight. The roads (the ones I like to travel on) are muddy and my seats are in danger of molding. I'm having model T driving withdrawal! Bah Humbug!

Even the dog looks dejected:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 01:13 pm:

I live in Florida and spend a couple of months in upstate NY. If it will make you feel any better it has been raining here in the Adirondack Mountains every day for a month and my dirt road is now a swamp. My T has been slogging through the mud in between rain storms and there is more mud than paint left on the under carriage. They say it was the second wettest June on record up here and I had to travel 1,500 miles to enjoy it! So far July doesn't look much better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Cuenca Ecuador on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 01:16 pm:

When we lived in Naples, I wouldn't have dreamed driving any T. Too many Qtips (white hairs, we weren't retired then) with erratic driving habits and Haitians intentionally causing accidents to files claims against you. In actuality, we quite enjoyed the afternoon rains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 02:22 pm:

I can sympathize, Bud. I haven't been able to take the ol' TT out for a week or so due to weather, but a different problem. We had a week or more of temperatures in the 104-110+ deg. F. neighborhood. Just too dang hot to do much of anything, particularly to drive an old truck with the exhaust pipe at your feet. It's letting up now, down to the mid 90's, so I'll probably take it out in the next day or so...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 03:05 pm:

Bud - It's not just you in Florida at the mercy of the weather! Us folks here in the Pacific Northwest have our "wet season" as you know, and in the upper midwest and New England, those folks have a bit more "real winter" than most would like. However, it is interesting to note that all of the raving about beautiful sunny southern California, and the "nah-nah-na-nah" stuff seems to slow down a bit in the summer when "So-Cal" folks could fry eggs on their hood and their brush-covered hillsides ( and some homes) are literally burning up! Hang in there Bud,...pretty soon it'll stop raining and you can start worrying about "boarding up" for hurricanes, right? Ahhh heck; wherever you live, there's no place that's "ideal",........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 03:21 pm:

Depends on our proximity to the ocean, Harold. We don't have aircon, and wouldn't use it more than a day or three per year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 03:38 pm:

Yeah,....Thanks to the USMC, I've spent some time at Camp Pendelton, and I remember that fog rolling in off the ocean Ralph! Some days, it seemed like the sun wouldn't appear until mid-afternoon, and just an hour or two later, here'd come the fog again! To tell you the truth, I kinda' liked that,.....maybe that's why I like the PNW (most of the time). I have to admit, I have heard that your "Surf City" has about the most constant and pleasing climate of anywhere in the continental USA. Of course, nowadays, there are "other" problems with that area, but going into that might cause me to make a "politically incorrect" statement or two, and I'd rather not do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 04:03 pm:

Actually, I heard long ago that Norm Kling is supposed to have the ideal climate in Alpine. That may no longer be. You can kinda' pick your climate here, based on distance from the water.

We have it pretty good. Our area is not poor enough that our neighbors would steal from us, and mobile thieves will head for Huntington Harbour, where the big money shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 04:05 pm:

Harold, ""I'll take Imagined Improvements over Imagined Problems Anyday""

My new favorite quote.. ya, RDR and I would put our weather up against any place in the World, providing you like the boring 72* year round. Good thing cause we've got lots of other negatives.

Surfcitygene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 04:17 pm:

Ya know guys, I've kinda quit worrying about the weather, I figure it is not about me or my day, but rather giving the fields and trees and plants a drink for the animals. Being retired now I'm just thankful to see the sun come up every day. The model T is just a bonus. I would like to drive it to town but am afraid to, for fear of getting run over by some un-attentive driver. Most people here treat it as an antique nuisance on the road and then when I take it to the tractor show they treat it like an amusement ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 04:53 pm:

Every place has its tiresome little quirks of climate. As a kid I thought when my aunts brought Grandma out to California in late July and early August they were just visiting. After living here I realize they were also escaping. In Lomita we were in about the same climate as Ralph is, near enough to the ocean to not roast like other parts of the state. In the 1880's California boosters used to advertise back east "Sleep under blankets all year!" I recall shooting off fireworks at night on the Fourth of July and having to put on a coat to stop shivering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 06:24 pm:

Been a little hot here in New York, with temps flirting with the 100-degree mark for over a week And of course, my air-conditioning picked this time to go on the fritz. The humidity was such that it felt like I was breathing through pound-cake, and my poor dog was so exhausted from panting, when the AC finally came back on, several days later, he slept for 48 hours straight.

Took the '15 out to the local cruise-in and she didn't overheat, but driving with perspiration dripping onto my eyeglass lenses wasn't much fun. Forecast won't be changing for a while. Guess we'll just rent some movies and keep listening for the sound of sweet relief...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nqvjFQN7ZQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 06:42 pm:

Y'all,
We haven't had any significant rain since Fathers' Day, so if you have too much, send some our way. To my way of thinking, it is too hot. We have touched 90 a few times.
We've been splitting some wood, just trying to get ready for next winter. Got a 63" snow blower for the front of the NH TC30 tractor. Had to do the driveway twice in a day a few times last winter to keep our 900' driveway open when the wind was whipping through. Nice to sit in front of the fireplace with a few logs burning when I come back in.
Just a few random thoughts to counteract the "too hot" stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 07:32 pm:

"...it is too hot. We have touched 90 a few times. " When I go to Wisconsin and hear folks there gripe about how hot 85 is, it makes me smile. Around here 90 is warm, not hot. Of course, in humid New York that's hot. In Arizona and parts of California 120 is OK because it's "dry heat". I don't care how dry it is, that's hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 07:49 pm:

I've never experienced this 'dry heat' I keep hearing about. Must be something to it, because I can only imagine 120 degrees. Thankfully, this Summer has been relatively mild for us temperature wise. But the afternoon thunderstorms are getting kinda old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 07:51 pm:

Steve,
Your blood must be running a bit thinner than mine. When we get the "hot" weather, it is usually on a weather pattern coming up the Ohio valley from the Gulf, and the humidity tends to go up accordingly.
Stay cool!
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, July 08, 2013 - 05:54 pm:

Hey, it's summer in southwest Florida (south Venice for me). It's going to rain every day around 5 like it is right now. The lawn is going to grow 6 inches before you get the lawn mower put away, the frogs are singing their bloody brains out. The Morning Glory vine that you chopped off fence last week is back again.
That's just a fact of life down here. You drive the Model T in the mornings and beat a hasty retreat for the garage around 4 pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Saitta on Monday, July 08, 2013 - 08:59 pm:

Judy and I just get A LITTLE wet. Bill St. Pete. Fl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 08, 2013 - 11:02 pm:

Terrible here too.
It rained a quarter inch 4th of July morning. Then it got clear up to 70 in the afternoon.
I only saw about 10 T fords driving around in Oakland all day. And a dozen or so Horseless Carriages.
Life is a beetch & then you die.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 01:07 am:

Bud,

You already know this but you need to bring your T to Colorado in the summer and I need to bring my T to Florida in the winter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 01:52 pm:

Paul

I wish I had the equipment to do just that! But my old van would never pull it.

I will be coming to Golden this August. I'll email you and hopefully we can get together!

Cheers

PS the &%#**^%$^(!! rain finally stopped !!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration