ACCESSORY OF THE DAY - 07/12/13 - MATCO FRONT PLATE MAGNETO DRIVE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY - 07/12/13 - MATCO FRONT PLATE MAGNETO DRIVE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, July 12, 2013 - 05:43 pm:

Can anyone identify the lower unit? It has no markings and is very similar to the Matco unit. I thought it might be an earlier version of the Matco unit but I am not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, July 12, 2013 - 05:47 pm:

Thats an interesting weld repair/support bracket added to the top one. Most Matcos are very heavy, and when dropped, they snap off the mag platform. That is why most have a weld/braze repair in that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:30 am:

Id still like to know who made the second front plate. Surely someone out there must have a clue.

BTW: Lurkers answers are welcome too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 12:31 pm:

Your second unmarked one may have the wrong gear wired to it. The casting appears to have a hub machined in it for the camshaft gear to rotate on. Colombo drives are made this way, although Colombo drives seem to have a large oil filler.
As for the lettering on the Matco, some of this style say Splitdorf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 01:36 am:

I do know someone that has a Columbo unit on his car. Layden B knows him also. I do not know the unit well enough to say whether that is like it or not. I know American Bosch also made a cross drive, but I don't think that one is a Bosch. However, I could be wrong. They may have made more than one style. The Bosch units I have seen all had "Bosch" prominently cast on them.
Ed, you out there?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 05:51 am:

Here are some similar things in a 1927 UK catalogue (lent to me by Neil Tuckett).
In 1927, 1 was about $5.
(I've cropped the page and lowered the resolution to meet the size requirement)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration