'27 dash light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: '27 dash light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 08:41 pm:

Could someone please give me the location of the auxiliary dash light on the '27 Touring. A picture would be great if anyone has one of the dash with a speedometer and light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:30 pm:

Hi Val.

I've posted a few pictures for you. My 1926 coupe was equipped with an accessory dash light over the instrument panel. Like most cars, that is where it was usually mounted, because speedometers were not installed by a lot of T owners back then. In 2011, I installed a 490 Stewart speedometer between the instrument panel and the choke rod and I find that the central location of the accessory light allows me to see the instrument panel the clock and the speedometer. Mine is the shiney black dash. I have posted some others to show where others have mounted their accessory dash light.

If you have a speedometer to the left of the instrument panel, the best place for the light would be between and above the instrument panel and the speedometer, but since I have a clock to the left of my instrument panel, I believe mine is mounted in the best place. You can also get more than one light, mounting one over the instrument panel and one over the speedometer, which can also serve as an auxiliary power source for the bayonet plug of a Fyrac windshield light like the one through my windshield. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 09:11 am:

Thanks everyone. That was just what I was looking for. I assume the lights were installed by the dealers and did not know if there was a specific location that was used. It makes sense that the location would be different for cars with or without speedometers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 09:39 am:

The photo with the green dash is where the dashlight was usually mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:05 am:

Larry, I agree that the green dash is the best place to mount the accessory light if you have a speedometer, but I disagree that that is where it was usually mounted by the dealer back in the day. 1926-27 Model T's did not come with a speedometer, but did come with an instrument panel which needed to be seen at night and the most suitable place to put the accessory light was directly above the instrument panel. The accessory light would have been one of the first accessories a new Model T owner would have purchased and the dealer would not have mounted it 6" to the right with nothing to illuminate. With only a top speed of 35 to 40 mph, speedometers were not considered a necessity and most Model T owners would not have wasted money on such a luxury. I purchased my two 1926's in original condition and both had the original nickel plated Ford accessory light mounted over the instrument panel. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:44 am:

I just noticed that Val asked about a '27 touring dash, which is more narrow from top to bottom, than the coupe, fordor and tudor dash and might not have enough room above the instrument panel to mount an accessory light, so I would say that the best place to mount the accessory light would be just to the upper left of the instrument panel. If you have a speedometer mounted to the left of the choke rod, the best place to mount it would be right between the instrument panel and the speedometer as shown in the lower right hand photo of the rusted dash. If the speedometer is mounted to the right of the choke rod, far away from the instrument panel, I would mount the accessory light to the upper left of the instrument panel and get another light for the speedometer. Jim Patrick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 04:32 pm:

Location of the dash light on my 1927 Touring. Engine and frame number match and according to the encyclopedia indicate a January 1927 build date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 07:54 pm:

I have a speedometer and it is located to the left of the carburetor/choke rod. There isn't a lot of room to mount it between the speedometer and the ammeter but that seems to be the place most of them were located. The light has a short wire on it and I am wondering where it is supposed to be connected. I assume it goes on the switch under the dash as opposed to the terminal block on the firewall but is there a specific terminal on the switch that was used for the accessory light?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 09:45 pm:

Wire the accessory dash lamp switch to the yellow wire at the dash switch, at the ammeter side so that it will indicate on discharge.

The fit is tight, because of the gas tank, take care in drilling the holes in the dash panel for the lamp, use a steel sheet placed in front of the tank for protection from your drill bit :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 01:06 pm:

Thanks Dan. I was very nervous when installing the speedometer years ago and was not looking forward to putting in the dash light because of the close proximity to the gas tank. I cut down an old drill bit to just a stub and used that to mount the light. It will now become part of my special T tools!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration