Bending Emergency Brake Arm

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Bending Emergency Brake Arm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:45 pm:

Hi all, I'm 6 foot 1, 230 lb, with a 32 inch inseam. The emergency brake arm on the 1923 touring/pickup I bought a month or so ago really restricts where I can move my left leg.

I see in the forum that several folks have bent their emergency brake arms to the left to give more leg room, can it be done in the car, or do you have to remove the arm and do it on the bench? How much force is required? What tools if any have folks used?

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:49 pm:

You can easily bend it cold, in the car. A couple of huge crescent wrenches work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 02:00 pm:

Worked like a charm, thanks Royce!

When he says huge wrenches, he means HUGE, that arm is pretty stiff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Sandefur on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 07:45 pm:

Does anybody have a picture of a bent brake lever? I'd like to try bending mine, but don't know how far I can bend it, without breaking the thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 07:55 pm:

Here's a picture of the one I just did today. Instead of vertical, the arm is now bent about 15 degrees to the left of vertical, which brings the top of the arm within 3 inches of the inside of the body on the driver's side. The arm still has plenty of clearance to the body in the forward position. I only made one bend near the floor, but I have seen some pictures of others who made two bends to bring the top of the arm back to the vertical position. I might have been able to bend mine further, but this was enough to make a big difference in room for my left leg.brake_arm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Sandefur on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:34 pm:

Thanks for the picture! I was thinking a dog-leg bend, but that just might work. I was planning on just having my left leg amputated, but then I realized I wouldn't be able to work the clutch...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 03:21 am:

Strange, mine was folded flat from when something ran the chassis over at the dump and even heating it red/yellow hot it still too 2 people to barely straiten it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 03:22 am:

straighten

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:51 pm:

My Tudor lever is bent about like yours Mark.
Makes a huge difference for the left leg!

brake lever

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration