How many controls in a Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: How many controls in a Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:22 pm:

I posted this a few years ago just for fun and thought I'd repeat it. Whilst you're sitting in your plain vanilla Model T, count up how may controls are available to you for operating the vehicle. I'm not including things like door latches, window hinges or auxiliary equipment. Every time I count I seem to come up with a different number. Don't go sit in it ... just close your eyes and start counting - then do it again !!

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:36 pm:

Three pedals, Steering wheel, hand lever, throttle lever, spark lever, choke/mixture adjustment, ignition switch, light switch, horn button, starter switch

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:41 pm:

Clutch, Foot Brake, Hand Brake, Reverse Pedal, Throttle, Spark, Warford shift lever, Hand operated fuel pump, folding fat man steering wheel, tire changing Jack, Lug wrench, and horn.

So I have 12 but most folks would only have seven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:43 pm:

Whooops forgot the electric headlights with high and low beam. making my car 14 and other folks eight (8).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:47 pm:

Remember though, that the clutch pedal is actually three controls: Hi, Lo and neutral

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:54 pm:

The hand lever is the primary neutral control.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 02:39 pm:

Choke? We ain't got no stinkin choke. Well, there is one out by the headlights, but you said sitting in your car, didn't you? (No starter button either..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:02 pm:

Don't forget the vent lever. Professional drivers can handle all that while chewing gum, smoking a cigarette, drinking coffee and talking on a CB radio. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:22 pm:

Under the seat is a battery cut-off switch.

On the left side of the cockpit is a Hand Klaxon, turn signal-switch (hidden in the Klaxon bracket), parking-brake/neutral-lever, rotary headlight-switch (purloined from a later-model Flivver because the original, 1915 switch might not have been able to withstand the staggering fury of an actual electrical system), the non-functioning key-ignition switch in the center of the rotary headlight-switch, and there's a 5-way flasher-button (Yes, 5-way; my oil lamp flashes too).

Then there's the steering-wheel, spark-stalk and throttle-stalk, hi/lo pedal, reverse-pedal, brake-pedal, floor-mounted starter-button, ignition-switch, the original, non-functional, pull-on headlight-switch, mixture-knob and choke-pull.

Underneath is a fuel shut-off valve, next to the carburetor is another fuel shut-off and up front, there's the original choke-pull and a crank.

(Was just about to hit the "Post this Message" button when I remembered the starter-button and the disconnected key-operated ignition-switch in the center of the rotary headlight-switch)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:44 pm:

These are the controls on my 1914 T Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 05:47 pm:

A few of us may still have bladder and bowel control too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 06:05 am:

Hey Mark... IMPRESSIVE !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 12:51 pm:

OK, at least Bob's pic is of a vintage vehicle control (looks like a British streamlined Steam Locomotive to me) but Mark's areoplane cockpit is just too modern! (or is it the Shuttle?)
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:07 pm:

My grandfather picked these nifty controls off the ground in Roswell in about 1947. I have not figured out a way to install them yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard Paulsen, San Buenaventura, Calif on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:12 pm:

Ed,
don't shoot the messenger, but those are copies of Babylonian tables found in a pyramid. The ship that crashed in Roswell was a Pleiadian one and neither of our country's leaders so far felt his fellow citizens are mature enough to have a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 03:31 pm:

David Dewey, you are 100% correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 04:51 pm:

I posted the wrong picture of M Model T controls. The first picture is my other car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration