Model S for sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Model S for sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:40 am:

Hemmings Daily has an article called "Find of the Day" which features a Model S for sale in Missouri. Neat car. Someone with computer skills needs to post a link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:45 am:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/category/hemmings-find-of-the-day/

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:46 am:

Here's the link. If it isn't clickable, just copy and paste it into the top line of your browser.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/07/26/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1907-ford -model-s/?refer=news

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:49 am:

I thought maybe it was a Model S like this:

Tesla Model S at the Tesla factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:04 pm:

It say's 3-5 exist today?
Can that be right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:28 pm:

Herb, maybe a 0 was left off, such as 350. Also, I see the Mother In Law is super sized (this would be the "modern" MIL seat size).

It looks like a very nice example of a Model S Roadster. I didn't see a price, but didn't go to the ad.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:28 pm:

Herb,

I've seen twice that many personally. I would guess more like 25 - 30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:32 pm:

Will Rob and Royce ever agree on anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Stinchcomb on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:33 pm:

$59,500

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/model_s/1586409.html?refer=blog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 05:05 pm:

Herb, evidently we agreed to post at the same time. That's probably about as close as we'll get.

As for numbers, a rule of thumb (that I've heard) is that about 1% of early cars survive. With Model Ks, that would mean about 50. However we think there are only around 23. Using that ROT, (Ford accounting showed 3680 Model S Roadsters were sold in Model Year 1908) 1% would equal about 360 S Roadsters. Even if only half as many survived, your looking at around 170.

The difficult thing with NRS cars is the chassis is essentially the same, so what may began as a Model N may have been restored into a Model S due to desirability, etc.

Looks like a nice car. I know of a few others that have sold for a little less that were very nice in the last couple of years.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 05:08 pm:

Jeeesh, should have said about 36, not 360. Now I'm the one adding a zero. Up too early this morning.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:20 pm:

Rob! Rob? Rob. I hate to say it, but you also blew the 1% for a thousand model Ks manufactured. I have also heard that 1% ROT, and once (about 40 years ago) figured that rule myself, although I find I often disagree with it. 1% of 1000 would be about 10. I believe somewhat more than that of model Ks survive. (Which, by the way, could be argued as a testimony to their quality.) 50 surviving would be about 5% survival which would be awfully good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:40 pm:

Yes,And very few of those K's are fibberglass with chebby engines! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:46 pm:

Wayne,

I agree. I know of 23 Model K cars out there, plus a few "parts". The one percent "rule" may not have much validity.

However, I suspect marquees such as Ford that are well known and had a lineage may have had a much better chance at survival compared with a marquee such as Freyer Miller.

Also, Ford dealers kept parts for older models for many years, possibly keeping early Fords on the road and out of salvage.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 11:05 pm:

Looking at many of the Model T parts drawings at Benson Ford Research Center you will often see the notation "For Repairs Only" on a drawing. And the drawing will have been last revised 10 or 15 years after production stopped on the car the part fits. Maybe that is why there are so many Fords around and so few Chevrolets (to name one).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, July 26, 2013 - 11:54 pm:

This is a great example. In this 1910 article, Gaston Plaintiff (Ford New York sales manager) discusses maintaining a parts supply for Ford cars. He mentions models A, F and K. Bottom line, Ford "got it" and kept a supply of parts at a reasonable cost. Maybe this is another reason Ford cars survived when others didn't. If you follow on, the cost to assemble a new T from parts is low relative to a new T price. By comparison today, the cost of components to build a car would be no where close to purchase price.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration