How clean is your oil ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: How clean is your oil ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 08:29 am:

I have recently done what a mechanic friend calls a motor "freshening". Valve job, new rings and pistons, and take up rod bearing slack (all done with motor in car).

I have a dipstick and check oil level every time I take Liz out. I am surprised to find the oil crystal clear - same as in my modern car.

This surprises me. I was expecting (because of the age of the car and the technology of the era) to find the oil considerably blackened after 4 or 500 miles.

This is my first (and only) T so I have nothing to compare to. Is this normal ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:00 am:

I change mine every 500 miles or less and its black as night.

You talk about the dipstick but without knowing where its pulled from its hard to say if its representative of all of the oil.

What does it look like when you drain it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:02 am:

Did you use a non detergent oil, if so that's why it looks so nice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 01:27 pm:

Bud,

Using regular oil, mine is black in the first 200 - 300 miles. Synthetic stays fairly clear up to 1000 or more. NOT starting an oil war, just stating results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 02:09 pm:

Non detergent looks a bit dark (green) right out of the container let alone a few hundred miles.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 04:43 pm:

I guess I should have said: it has 5w-30 detergent oil, but not synthetic.

Dan: haven't drained it yet - I'll post back when I do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration