Another little parts quiz

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Another little parts quiz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 02:54 pm:

This is probably too easy, but here it is anyway. Most people looking at this car when it's done will assume it's all authentic. But the Model T cognoscenti will say (or think) "Aha! Not real Ford!" So here they are. Which is original, taken off a Model T, and which is modern and altered to resemble original? How can you tell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:12 pm:

The head looks thinner on #2.

Do I win a cookie?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:21 pm:

The cotter pin hole on #2 is closer to the end and the threads go all the way to the head. Less chamfer on the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:22 pm:

#4 definetely looks like Model T. #1 could be a Model T, but 2 & 3 look modern.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:31 pm:

1,3 &4 are T Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:33 pm:

I wouldn't use # 2 anywhere (Ford or not) that had sheer. The shank is non existent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:34 pm:

1 & 4 are T or of the time period of the T; the rest are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:57 pm:

I think Dennis is onto something. -- The heads on the others are not pitted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 04:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Burton on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 04:12 pm:

i vote 5, it does not have the bevel on the head like the other ones

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 04:13 pm:

I would give you all but #2 (claiming that #4 has spun in use).

However, your glass pix can be deceiving...and maybe you know more than we know at the same time?

Start with #1...are the head heights the same?

Why are #3 & #5 facing the other way? There appears to be a groove across the top (hmmmmmm)

If they are off the '15...not proof but a good test...Ford was still using what would have been rated a #2 Gr. bolt under the future SAE system, so look up the hardness for a Gr. 2...and then use a hardness file on it....oh wait, hardness files might not be available in farm/estate finds...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 04:45 pm:

Cotter pin hole in #2 is not champhered and several other flaws already mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 04:49 pm:

I think 1 and 4 are the real deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 05:41 pm:

All of them except #2 have thick heads. I think any of them could be T-era, pitted or not. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 06:47 pm:

If I'm not right; I'm gonna "bolt " off this posting. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 08:20 pm:

Congratulations to all who spotted #2 as the modern bolt. The most obvious giveaway is the shorter head. The heads on T bolts are 5.", while the new ones are .375".

George noticed the grooves on top of #3 and #5, and I wonder about those. They're not deep enough or wide enough to be screwdriver slots. They're also slightly off center. Can anyone tell what those are for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 08:44 pm:

At first I thought the grooves might be grade markings, but all the grade markings I've seen on bolt heads are raised features, not grooves.

In any case, I'm including the attached pic of grade markings and their meanings for general info.grades

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 08:48 pm:

Looks like the grooves are roughly in line with the cotter pin holes. They were probably a guide to help align the nut slots with the holes in tight areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 09:18 pm:

RV has it. I put light file marks on the top of my "hard to see bolts" for the same reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, August 02, 2013 - 01:43 am:

#4. Has the most rust pits.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration