Bulb current

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Bulb current
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 12:55 pm:

Some one was asking about how much current certain bulbs drew. I checked out several different bulbs with a current probe. Within the accuracy of my probe and using a battery with 6.3 volts, here are the results.

C.P = candle power
Current = actual measured current draw
Design = design current per G.E. lamp spec. book.
Bulb = bulb number
Old or new is era or modern manufacture.

C.P.2121
Current2.92.8
Design2.692.69
Bulb Old1110
C.P.3
Current1.4
Design0.63
Bulb New63
C.P.21
Current3.4
Design2.63
Bulb New1129
C.P.5032
Current5.74.2
Design6.183.87
Bulb New1188
C.P.3232
Current5.24.9
Design4.664.49
Bulb Old2331
C.P.5032
Current85.1
Design6.534.23
Bulb Old2530
C.P.3232
Current44.1
Design3.873.87
Bulb New1000

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 01:06 pm:

Thanks Tom, I was that someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 01:07 pm:

Thanks Tom, now, one may figure out what bulbs are good to use, not to go over the wattage capacity of their charging system, either it be the standard Ford generator or other.

Current is measured in Amps. DC voltage of 6.3 is used to simulate fully charged battery

Using the equation : Volts X Amps = Watts

Ford generators questionably can handle 100 watts, but I'm told it shouldn't exceed 80 watts for generator longevity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 02:58 pm:

Which brings up a variance to the chart. The battery voltage isn't what is running the lights unless the car is parked and the engine off. Charging circuit voltage is higher when the engine is running. Wouldn't that increase the current draw and thus watts?

Volts2
---------- = Watts
Resistance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 05:00 pm:

Thanks Tom, I should have used my Tek scope and probe to do the same thing. As always your ahead of us amateur folks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 05:02 pm:

Sorry for typo. Should have been you're rather than your. Brain freeze; waiting for the thaw.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 09:35 pm:

A list I made up a while back.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration