Watkins verses Rawleigh-Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Watkins verses Rawleigh-Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 11:35 pm:

I would think the Watkins truck was converted to have doors on it. What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 11:47 pm:

Seems a lot of Runabouts were converted into small trucks probably because it was the cheapest way to do it. Too bad you can't lower the top anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 06:23 am:

Herb,

I agree with you that it looks like the "enclosed" Watkins body had the doors added on later. A quick look through the "Ford Trucks Since 1905" by James K. Wagner shows the curved flowing cab area used with storm curtains and the solid doors were usually shown on a more square looking cab. Ford also did that with the Ton Truck. The C-cab TT used side curtains while the enclosed cab TT was a much more square design. And it was much easier to make and fit the doors to a square design and keep the overall design flowing smoothly. In the photo of the Watkins body there is a nice curved flow that ends abruptly with the rectangular shaped doors.

The roadster converted to truck appears to be a 1915 with the brass rimmed electric headlamps, louvered hood, and 1915-16 style fenders.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 11:16 am:

I have a body similar to the second photo except mine came from Iowa and says Bakers Products on the sides, looks like a kitchen cabinet on the sides, raised wood w/panels, has a single rear door w/4 full length drawers, at one time it had a brass railing on the top as the holes are still visible, as my health is failing it is for sale danuser88@ktis.net

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration