MTFCA 2013 Hillbilly Tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: MTFCA 2013 Hillbilly Tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 07:14 pm:

We will be on the 2013 MTFCA Hillbilly Tour, staying at the RV park, and then on to Branson dowtown RV park for four days, then meander around Ark.,MO.,Miss and LA. and then to the Texas Tour.
Looking for any POI's, mini-T-tours fairs,antique shows, auctions Swap meets etc.
Anybody welcome to join us and another couple from Tucson.
Hope to meet some forum members there.
Don Vagasky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 07:41 pm:

Don if you get up in Mid-Mo your welcome to camp out here, and see the Churchill Memorial and the sections of the Iron-Curtain wall on the Westminster College Campus. Auto World by Backer over 85 cars in Museum. we are in Fulton Mo. Just 20 miles from the capital at Jefferson City. We were supposed to supply parts for the tour but my health forced us to cancel. T and TT Ford Parts John and Karen Danuser danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 08:44 pm:

If some folks want to come a day or two early for the tour and stay in Fayetteville (50 miles from Eureka), we could spend a couple of days driving T's on some great roads around here. I need to go to Little Rock on the Monday after the tour, but otherwise will be around here for any "extracurricular T activity".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 08:49 pm:

I'm coming with the Mrs iffen I can get my chores done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 08:53 pm:

Hey, John, that's super! It'll be good to see you again and meet the Mrs. Nice try on the Hillbilly vernacular, but it's spelt if'n. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 04:51 am:

The wife and I are planning to go down to the Branson area sometime during the tour. We are going to Eureka Springs sometime during the tour and hope to meet some folks and look at T's. I will be the short fat guy with a black Viet Nam veteran hat. If any of you see me, say Hi. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 07:29 am:

John D sent you a PM
Mike, I still have your tour info, we will advise you if we get to your area.
Thanks you both
Don V

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 11:53 am:

Will there be any time that the Model Ts will be on display in Branson? I live in the Springfield, MO, area and would just like to come and look at the cars sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 01:32 pm:

The Missus and I will be there if'n the car don't break down. Look forward to meeting all of you and some fun driving. We're spending the week after the tour in the Branson area so the Torpedo will likely be out and bout.

Wifey is packing and ready for another grand touring trip. All I have to do is polish up the brass from the rainy Kanab tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 02:13 pm:

Chris & Rose, & Tim & Judy from the Calgary club will be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 08:00 pm:

Rick, there will be several of us at the Branson Lakeside RV park near downtown. We have not a schedule yet, just gonna play it on the fly.
Gene, are you driving your T there?? We will be leaving here Monday. I'll send you a PM with my cell in case you have problems.
Lookin' to "get-up with ya'll" forum members.
Kurt Peterson,....you still in on the tour?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 10:01 pm:

ForY'All going into Arkansas, from Branson on Hwy 65 look for Dogpatch and Bugger Hollow. Make sure you take a photo to prove it really there in that part of the country. When I told my friends about it they thought that I had lost it completely till I showed them my photos.
Enjoy the trip it is great.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:45 pm:

I will be there but unfortunately Dena will not. Someone has to stay home and pay for the trip. In her place my son from Rhode Island will be joining me. We have bibs but they look pretty new. See you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:05 pm:

David and I will be in Eureka Springs, and we are really looking forward to it. Then we will be back in Texas and ready for the Texas T Party in Lufkin. We will be in the red and black Touring, with both of our dogs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:30 pm:

Kathy, what a great picture! I am getting ready to install the top on my 1923 touring/pickup and I've been looking for a picture showing the area of the rear curtain and bow. One question, do the "lift a dot" fasteners on the rear curtain snap into the bow, or are they just there to attach to the side curtains?

Oh, BTW, cute dogs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 12:30 am:

Don

We will be arriving in Eureka Springs on Labor Day.
After the Hillbilly Tour we are on to Branson for a couple 3 days or so.

On our way back to Santa Fe after 2 weeks in the Bear Flag State.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 02:22 am:

Gene, remember, John Regan will be wearing his customary grey tophat, you can't miss him.
Give my regards to Bob Stone.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 03:45 pm:

Really looking forward to seeing y'all. Got to say thanks to John for his neat projects that he shares with us. Of course lots of other guys as well

We'll be spending a week after the tour at the Holiday Hills Resort in Branson.

Rick Gunter asked about having some cars on display there in Branson, Seems like a great idea maybe we can work out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 01:52 am:

Gene, when you back there, you need to know the correct greeting. Which is "Howdy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 04:16 pm:

Here is a question for Mike Walker

Why is it Are-kin-saw

and not Are-kan-sis

????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 04:29 pm:

Chris, I have heard people from Kansas pronounce it Are-kan-sis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 04:58 pm:

Last time we went to Branson from Memphis, we were told that I-40 west of Memphis was under construction and a real mess. So, we went another route, which was up to US 60 or 73, I forget which. We ran across an "antique shop" maybe 40 miles south of Branson, that is quite spectacular!

This place has grown over the years into about 6 metal buildings, each about 40 x 120 feet. They are jam-packed full of furniture of all kinds, in pretty good condition.

The most spectacular part is, they have collected perhaps 2000 pieces of stained glass, all hanging from the ceiling and on every wall surface available. Some are windows, in frames, and some are art pieces. Some came from homes, and some from churches, and some from who-knows-where.

It's worth the trip if you're bopping around Branson!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 05:24 pm:

I believe the river is pronounced are-kan-zas, while the state is pronounced are-kin-saw. I have no idea why, or even whether I'm right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 06:54 pm:

Stop and think about Missouri-- pronounced Missoureeeeeee or is it Missouraaaaaaaaaaaa, to be or not to be. Me I say Missoura, even though there is an "i(eye) on the end, so lets see what happens now, hee, hee!
Oh by the way I lived near Mansfield for a few years in my YYYYYYOOOOOOUUUUNNNNger days (11 to 181/2 yearsold) now nearly 80.

Bill D
Redding, Ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 08:09 pm:

Bill, as you are no doubt aware, people from St Louis and Kansas City tend to say Missouree and people from outstate tend to say Missourah. I can't remember which Missouri politician it was, but I noticed that he switched pronunciations depending on where he was....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 08:12 pm:

Are-kan-saw is correct, unless you are in Kansas. There is a city named Arkansas City, and they pronounce it Ar-Kansas City (or just Ark City). The Arkansas River is pronounced Ar-kan-saw everywhere except where it runs through Kansas.

Steve Jelf lives near Ark City; maybe he can shed some light on why Kansans can't pronounce Arkansas correctly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 08:20 pm:

I really don't know much about it Bill, because I was born & raised in suburban Chicago, then moved to Montana where we lived for 10 years, and then moved here to the Seattle area where we've lived for the last 32 years. But my wife's grandmother (who came from Missouri) always said (more or less) that it depends which part of Missouri your in (or came from). In other words (all jokes aside) I think either is correct, depending which part of the state you're talking about. (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 08:24 pm:

Sorry Dick; you pretty well answered Bill, but I got a phone call right in the middle of typing so didn't see your post. Guess we pretty much said the same thing in different ways,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 08:35 pm:

Mike, my recollection was also that the river was Ar-kan-saw when I lived in Jacksonville.

Isn't the name of the state related to the Quapaw Indian tribe? (I know. I could Google it. But it's easier to ask you.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 12:26 am:

A book I read just a couple years ago was all about the fifty states and the important facts, figures, and trivia about them (mostly intended for fifth graders).
It stated that Arkansas was the only state that had a resolution passed (by the state government) on the "proper way to pronounce the state's name; Ar-kan-saw".
My half pennies worth.
I just wish I could go on the tour.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 12:55 am:

Mike described it nicely. In Colorado, where the river starts, it's pronounced Arkinsaw. When it crosses the state line it becomes the Ar-Kansas. I'm about a mile and a half from the Arkansas (Ar-Kansas) and about a mile from Arkansas (Ar-Kansas) City. About six miles southeast of here, the river crosses into Okieland and becomes the Arkinsaw again. I don't know the origin of the difference in pronunciation, but it goes back at least to the nineteenth century.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 07:56 am:

If you think the pronunciation is confusing to us watch this video- (non- Ford but Arkansas related)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 07:57 am:

Sorry. I forgot the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db8tkEsHuhE

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration