I recently received a new upholstery set for my 1915 roadster. The seat part fit very well but I am having trouble with the backrest. It is the Cartouche brand in vinyl. Perhaps someone has encountered the same issue and can advise me. The problem is that when I get to wrapping the backrest material around the corners at the bottom there appears to be too much material to make a nice tight fit. The top edge seems to be fine but at the bottom one of the pleats seems to land right in the corner making it difficult to make a neat fit. Also, at the outter edge of the armrest the material lands right on a pleat. I don't know if I should try to stretch it out more and cut off the last pleat or pull it back where there is already too much material. I purchased a new backrest string which I installed as described and the material fits great on the flat part of the backrest until I get to the corners. Anyone had this problem and is it suppose to be loose and wrinkled in the corners?
I just put upholstery in our 15.
Start this after you place your padding down and it is secured.
I started in the center of the back working to the sides. Stretch the fabric across the back. Tack this area,under the wood support, not on top of the seat. I started with 3 tacks then moved to a corner.
I put five folds in each corner I let the fabric tell me this. You can see how it will lay.
Each fold on the left and right is the same width. Make the first fold, about 1/2 inch, tack the top fold, then the lower. My next fold was about 2 inches out.
The trick is to makes sure the left matches the right side. Keep the fabric out of the area where the door closes. Trim extra vinyl back to the wood areas. Cover raw edges with hide a welt, include buckles on the ends to finish.
Now the seat: cut the board about 1/2 in smaller than the metal frame it sits in. Attach the foam making it a bit larger than the board. Wrap this with 1/2 poly padding. I used spray glue to do this. Wrap the vinyl tucking corners, military style. Tack them underneath the board. Now cut a piece for the underside of the board large enough to fold raw edges under. then tack.
Now, our 15 will not be pristine but remain unpainted in its current natural state.
If this is not what you are doing, you may need a more precise process. Good luck and lets see the pictures.
Send me some pictures, and I'll send you a description of what you might need to do...
In my travels with people who have Cartouche in their cars, they wish they had something else....
Donald, besides almost throwing the kit out window and almost starting over from scratch here's what I did. I may sound a little crazy but it cured all my problems and it may solve yours also. I cut the one piece back rest into three seperate pieces. I then proseceed to attach the left and right sides first making sure the pleats were straight up and down and the buttons were centered after that was done I did the seat back starting in the center and working my way out to the corners folding under the materail on each side in the corners so that you have neat unwrinked corner and even pleats. try this all first with some scrap or cheap fabic if your a little scared to make the cuts. you will be amazed as to easy and simple it is. Also I threw the cheap cotter pin style buttons away and went with a more athentic style button that sucures with heavy thread from the back side. on the seat you can pull thouse buttons down and tye to the seat springs to really inhance the diamond tuff look. I the end your car uphostery will look athentic and complement a nice restoration not destroy one.