OT - 999 and Arrow racers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: OT - 999 and Arrow racers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 11:58 am:

I worked this up for a few fellows doing work on 999/Arrow projects, and thought I'd share it with anyone interested.

I didn't realize it, but prior to Henry Ford driving 999/Arrow to a world one mile speed record in 1904, the two racers captured world records between 1902 and 1904. In one race, both racers are competing with each other, and Oldfield sets a new 5 mile world record, while Cooper drives the other Ford racer to second place, also eclipsing the old record, set my Alexander Winton.

Also, a few noticeable names include A.Y. Malcomson driving a Winton racer at the race where Oldfield first beats Winton. This is the same A. (Alexander) Y. Malcomson who a few months later helps Henry Ford create Ford Motor Company. Another name not as widely recognizable is F.X. Mudd. F. (Frank) X. Mudd will later be credited with buying the first Model N Ford, in July 1906. He will also compete with this Model N, winning and placing in several contests in the Chicago area.
Here's a link to "Ford 999 and Arrow.pdf" in my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iitebsvek1kbtbm/Ford%20999%20and%20Arrow.pdf

This material is collected for educational purposes only.

Riob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 12:09 pm:

Thank you for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 01:10 pm:

Excellent! The 999 is one of my favorite racers of all time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 02:32 pm:

Rob-
Thanks for sharing.
I wanted to point out what I believe is an error. On Page 14, the car is identified as the 999. I believe it is the Arrow.

When I was at the Ford Centennial, I visited at length with Derrick Moore from the Henry Ford. He taught me that the intake manifold of the Arrow looks like a lower-case double-y, shape with angled pipes. The 999 Has an intake manifold with right angles, shaped like a CAPITAL double Y, as on page 18.

I'd be interested in contrary information.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 03:05 pm:

Keith,

If your referring to the page showing Barney Oldfield on a racer labelled "Barney Oldfield on the 70 h.p. ....... known as 999", that is the caption from the news article (as it appeared in "The Automobile", June 1903.)

I've also heard that one had the vertical and one the angled manifold (and didn't recall which is which). I've also heard or read hat Henry Ford's record run was made driving Arrow in 1904 although many references say "999".

I've read that many of the parts were interchangeable between the two racers. One of the racers crashed, I believe at the Wisconsin fairgrounds, killing the driver, Frank Day. I'll try to find that story later,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 03:08 pm:

I wonder what ever happned to the camshaft? Ever see the grease cup's on the rods? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 03:30 pm:

I have heard several stories about the 999 and the Arrow. There is the tale that the present 999 is more Arrow than 999.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 06:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 06:53 pm:

Rob
I have been doing some research and find that 875 x 105 beaded edge (what you think of as "clincher rim") tires (34 7/16" od x 4 1/8" wide) for a 27" clincher rim are reasonably available. You can also buy all new demountable wire wheels for these with hubs and caps. Probably not absolutely correct, but darn close. They would probably run you about $1,000.00-1,200.00 per corner! Not that bad when you think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 08:12 pm:

Les,
Those are the tires we're running on our K (couldn't find 34X4 clinchers). They went on OK, and seem to be working out well.
I think we've located a transmission, so the "big ticket" items are wheels/hubs, a pair of seats, and some engine items (oiler, water pump and few other items. Hershey may be the place to find some of these items.
I'll go back to the "racer" thread with an artists rendition of what the racer could/should look like (well, not an artist, but me with a coloring app).
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 08:41 pm:

I may have a water pump that would work. I have cast up one for a 300 cu in 4 cylinder and it has plenty of capacity

Oiler; this website will give you a good rundown on what is available off the shelf. There are even more options for the pump assemblies if these won't do the job. The "DSL" pump even has nice looking sight feed drip windows to count the drops of oil (and impress the on lookers)!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 09:32 pm:

Rob,

I can't put a finger on it right easy but did do some pretty deep research into the racers years ago.

As Daryl points out...the real '999' is what is shown in your picture. It was junked thereafter and set aside for parts. "Arrow" was then renamed '999' from thereafter and 'may' have retained its original configuration, or 'may' have been a hodge podge of both from that point on. I never was able to get to the last pickle in the barrel on that last comment with confidence. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 10:37 pm:

Les, I'll PM.

George, it seems the two racers had many similar parts and they were swapped as needed. I also came across a story that one of the racers ended up in California and was going to be raced again (about 1905 or 1906). I also thought I read that the wrecked one in the photo was the "base" for the car that HF set the world record with in early 1904.

A couple of incredibly fast racers. When you consider that HF and Tom Cooper were able to finance and build two racers that would beat established names like Winton and Peerless (not to mention foreign racers) for world records that's really saying something about Henry Ford's abilities.

While researching, I found that Tom Cooper was killed when an automobile he was driving (too fast, at night) struck another in Central Park. He was racing for Matheson (Auto Company) at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 10:22 am:

So much for being "thrown clear."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration