I have a pair of used Top Clamps, pictured here ...
It came attached to a metal rectagle channel about 3 1/2" long, that apparently had the wood bow inside. It had 2 rivets, though on one end .. none on the other.. Also had 2 through-bolts .. captive nuts on the 'outside' edge.
I have not seen this metal channel. Did the Top Clamps just bolt to the leading wood bow?
The top irons photo:
almost appears to have this steel box as well.
I'm go'n look'n for photos of that area. Seems like someone responded to me a long time ago, that might have had am image of those connections.
That clamp is a separate piece that bolts through the curved metal bow AND through the bow wood.
If it's attached to a metal channel 3.5 inches long, it's because somebody has sawn the clamp off the bow itself....
Ahh ... gotchya.... It certainly looked hacked! I thought someone had used some scrap metal of some sort. There wasn't any wood in it .. so all makes sense.
I have a roadster .. converted to pickup, but the top is apparently from a cut down touring as the irons are wrong. Taking a better look at it ... there's no way the clamps are going to attach to the front bow ... unless I cut the side irons down. The inside of the front bow is a good 5" away from inside surface of the clamp!
There's no way I can afford the $600+ for the irons and another ??? for top fabric, etc. And usable used ones are rarer than hen's teeth. As it's not the prettiest car on the block, I think I'll just cut down a 2x6 piece of cedar or pine for up there, and double as a wind /splash shield. :-)
You have a cut down set from a touring,23-25.
Well, at least it's about the right vintage. :-)
Do the clamps go on with the 'inside' up, or down?
If inside up ... the forward tang would be under the front bow.... if inside down, it would be on top.
The inside goes up with the tang down.
Interesting... on closer inspection, I found a 2nd set of holes on the upright aron where the hook/catch for the front iron either was, or could be. Of course, this was AFTER I measured and formed a board to act as the support board between the windshield and front bow. :-)
The upright bow is no longer attached to the roof (it was, but the few tacks apparently blew out).. so it is no longer 'locked' into position. By moving the front iron up higher, it will be significantly more out of the way, and the geometry changes where I think the front bows will be back where they belong! It would be nicer, even .. if the curve on the front irons went the other way ... then, they would be even higher.
We'll see how it goes together!
Looks like you have the wrong top irons. That will cause a problem with alignment. Here's a 24 Roadster with the correct irons. Big difference, Eh?
Ken, that is a neat front bumper on your car, do you have a rear bumper also? Where did you get the bumpers and brackets?
Yes ... definately the wrong irons. Several have said the top and irons were from modified tourings. I'm just trying to make fit what I have ... as best I can!
Mark - It's not my car. I just grabbed a pic off the web to show the correct top. But you're right, it is a neat bumper. Doesn't look like it would be hard to make.
Dennis - It will cause more headaches once installed. You could loose your scalp getting in and out of it. Is it really worth it?
Ken ...My wife got a small concussion where it is ... I'm trying to raise it up as far as possible. It's been there for at least 30 years... although my Dad usually had the top down. Seeing as how I don't have the money to do it right (new/at least proper irons & and a new top) ... I have to make due with what I have.
Currently, I'm one of those, got to keep it running on a shoestring. Barely making house payments, and 2 months behind in about every thing else, if ya know what I mean.
Of course, I could do what Dad did .. and leave the top down, but I drive it a WHOLE lot more than he did.
I think a good portion of the whole thing being out of square isn't the top at all ... I think the driver's side window stanchion is back to far ... probably from folks grabbing the windshield when the climb in (mostly my wife, recently!).
Top re-fit complete, with the refurbished clamps .. and a sun visor, to boot ...
Yeah, I know it's not kosher, but it's rock solid now, and quite 'square' now ... especially compared to what it was! I couldn't move the diagonal iron as far up as I had hoped, but even a few inches really made a difference in ease (and safety) of getting in and out.
Oops .. I didn't post the photos:
Anxious to take it out tomorrow and see how it holds! I suspect the rear view mirror wont rattle so much, as the windshield from will have some pretty stout support now.