Ford Piano Truck for 1913-Shorpy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Ford Piano Truck for 1913-Shorpy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KEN PARKER on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 09:24 pm:

Not quite a pie truck but very nice looking truck in 1913.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/15958?size=_original#caption

Black and brass

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 09:31 pm:

Nice truck. Must have a piano finish paint job. Then there is the lady crossing the street. There are at least seven guys checking her out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 09:32 pm:

It is a great looking truck, Ken. Thanks for posting the link. I doubt that you could get a Steinway in it. It must have been the tuners truck. :-)

I wonder what's in all those crates. They don't look large enough to be pianos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 10:03 pm:

There were Victrolas in the crates, "the Ipod of it's day" as Dave at Shorpy writes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 10:15 pm:

So, next time I'll read the caption....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 10:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 10:48 am:

Looks like a 1913 bare chassis with a very nice custom body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 11:10 am:

I wonder if the windshield is standard Ford, or an aftermarket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 11:15 am:

Bare chassis did not come with a windshield. So any brand from the era would be "correct" if you were trying to copy this car.

The windshield does look much like a late 1912 Rands, but no telling if it is one of those or some other brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 12:33 pm:

Rear fenders are from 1911-1912 Touring car it would seem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 12:39 pm:

It looks to me like the windshield has a spring like on the Mezger Automatic windshield. Did the late Rands also have a spring?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 12:52 pm:

The awning fits the name! Droop's :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 04:34 pm:

If it has a spring indeed it's more likely a Mezger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 05:55 pm:

The picture was taken by Harris & Ewing, INC. in 1913

It was gifted to the Library of Congress in 1955 as a glass negative, by Harris & Ewing.

Droop's was located at 925 Pennsylvania Ave, between 10th and D St. and had been a Washington DC business since 1851. The ENTIRE BLOCK was demolished in 1963 and the location is currently of the J. Edgar Hoover FBI building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 05:58 pm:

I should say that's the CORNER of 10th and D St. Any way you look at it, no building in the above picture is still standing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration