I may need to be doing some work to the rear end of my '26 coupe which I have not been in for 42 years (since 1971). Does anyone have a cross section diagram of the rear end to refresh my memory? Thank you. Jim Patrick
More sage advice
OK JIM -- I think it is time you got the "COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE For the Repair and Restoration Of the Model T Ford Front and Rear Axles"
Dennis Gorder sent me one in 2010 when I was beginning to work on my T -
email your address to me and I'll send it to you.
Just promise that you will Pass it Forward when you are done.
PS It was guys like Dennis that made me feel welcome when I first stumbled across the forum --
Jim - I found this checklist when I did mine. Good for the driveshaft and the diffy, at least.
Rebuilding Model T Rear-End Checklist
The Drive Shaft Assembly
1. (5171) universal joint: [ ](2574)pin (always replace) [ ]rivets tight [ ]wear ok (0.010-0.020”)
2. (2595B) drive shaft: [ ]surface (0.095-1.000”) [ ]under sleeve surface(1.000”) [ ]threads ok
3. (2589) thrust bearing assembly: (2591) steel races x2 [ ]ok, (2591B) bearing [ ]ok
4. (2596) inner bearing sleeve [ ]ok (1.248-1.250”), (2598B)woodruff key [ ]ok , (2598)nut [ ]ok
5. (2587) pinion bearing [ ]ok (0.560-0.562)
6. (2583/B) drive shaft spool [ ]ok (2.372-2.375), [ ]fit in assembly ok
7. (2581) drive shaft bushing [ ]brass and ok(.002-.003 side-to-side play, 0.002-.005 end play1)
8. (2597B/2518) ring gear and pinion [ ]pinion ok, [ ]ring gear ok
The Differential Assembly
1. (2501/2) right/left axle housing [ ]ok, [ ]sleeve ok (2.210”), [ ] pin ok, [ ]housing alignment ok (see page 27)
2. (2511) inner seals [ ]ok
3. (2505) axles [ ]bearing surface ok (1.060-1.062”), [ ]gear shoulder diameter ok (1.806-1.807”)
4. (2508) roller bearings [ ] ok( 0.4800-0.500”)
5. (2509/09B) axle bearing sleeves [ ] ok
6. (2524/26) differential gears and spider [ ]spider gear arm play ok (0.005-0.007”)
7. (2528/2529) thrust washer assembly (2529) [ ]steel thrust washer ok (0.090”), (2528) [ ]bronze & ok
8. (2512C) left differential housing [ ]axle bearing clearance ok (0.005-.0010”), (2531B) thrust washer pin ok [ ]
9. (2513C) right differential housing [ ] axle bearing clearance ok (0.005-.0010”), (2531B) thrust washer pin ok [ ]
10. (2506) axle shaft washer (two may be needed)
The second thread Erich listed shows these thrust washers and how close I was to joining the no-brakes club.
Thanks everyone. This has been a big help! Jim Patrick