Facing driveshaft bushing with modern pinion bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2013: Facing driveshaft bushing with modern pinion bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 11:09 pm:

I will be using the Fun projects modern pinion bearing replacement. As I understand it, the driveshaft bushing no longer controls the movement of the shaft to the rear as the FP bearing does that.

So can I remove most of the facing on the bushing ? How much do you leave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 11:28 pm:

I left it all. Didn't find any reason to mess with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 12:37 am:

TT

Hi Bud, I agree with Steve...no reason to mess with it...however, please don't look too long at the bushing in the pic above. I followed Steve's lead and polished the face of the bushing then clear coated it to keep a good shine on it. Ya...no one will notice it, but I've have a reputation to uphold. Sorry about the blurry pic Steve !! W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 01:18 am:

I take off most of the bushing face as it is no longer needed and can only cause interference when you pin the u-joint to the driveshaft.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:22 am:

My concern was fitting the bushing and then finding I didn't have enough clearance for the U joint.

Since I don't have a facing reamer I would have to remove the bushing to turn it down - not fun!

If its too tight I wonder if I could take a little off the U joint?

Probably better to use Erik's idea to be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:24 am:

PS

Wayne

If you'll do that for a part that will never be seen, I'd love to see the rest of the car !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:49 am:

I don't see how you could get enough pinion gear depth if you don't face it off some. The repro bushing is thicker than an original Ford babbitt bushing.

If you are using the fun projects pinion bearing then you could have that drive shaft bushing faced off .080" prior to pressing it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 10:05 am:

My method: I face .100 off the bushing before I press it in. Install the U joint and use .010 arbor washers to bring it back to a snug fit. Due to variation in the length of the tube, driveshaft, etc., etc. it take from one to four washers.

I believe it is good practice to have the U joint tight against the bushing.

Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 10:08 am:

I totally agree with Stan, that is the best way to go. I use a Stevens U joint spot facer to set the clearance between the U joint and the bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:46 pm:

I don't pin it or face it when using a fun projects bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 04:52 pm:

I never rely on that small set screw to keep the Drive Shaft end play in place. I always set the set screw and then set up the Drive shaft end play the original way. You then have a fail safe assembly that will still work if the set screw comes loose. A little more work but better safe than sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 05:02 pm:

I have the John Stolz bushing, and, like Jeff, no pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 05:03 pm:

Jeff,

Not pinning the u-joint allows it to wander up and down the shaft to the point of binding. I believe John R. recommends pinning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 05:24 pm:

In a previous thread several years ago, John R was just squeamish about not pinning. I guess you could call that a recommendation. The ujoint centers automatically, better than pinning can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 06:13 pm:

I suppose you don't absolutely have to pin it as long as the hole in the U joint and the hole in the drive shaft line up. What I see as the problem is that with the bushing left too long and the U joint setting forward of the correct position by whatever amount the bushing is too long; the center line of the U joint is forward of where it needs to be and the front edge of the U joint can be forced too far in to the end of the transmission female end. It can bind just enough to make the U joint vibrate. The more weight in the car and the worse it will vibrate. Also, it can cause damage to the U joint, the 4th main, etc.

I pin 'em. I see no advantage to not doing it except saving five minutes on an expensive and time consuming rebuild of a differential assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 07:30 pm:

Totally agree with Stan.

Not pinning the U joint makes it rely on the not so accurate fit of the U joint to the drive shaft. It's bad enough having a not so accurate fit at the engine to U joint end. My opinion, you are asking for U joint failure if you leave the pin out. It takes about a minute to install that pin. I can't imagine why anyone would leave it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 08:41 pm:

My problem that I am working on is that I am installing a Model A trans behind a T engine . I have the driveshaft tube mated to a T and the driveshaft modified to fit a T pinion . Will use fun project pinion bearing kit . Do I need to pin the Model A u joint? Will the set screw be enough? Should I pin it?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration